5: Shoyo Hinata - Reunion Part One

Warning! This is part one of two!

Note: apologies but there are a lot of timeskips in this, but it spans a relationship from junior high right through to adulthood so there was a lot of time to cover!

 "(y/n)! Are you free to help me again tonight?!" Shoyo called across the classroom towards me as soon as the teacher had dismissed us. My cheeks heated up a bit at my best friends brash behaviour but he never seemed to notice it himself.

"You can say no to him y'know (y/n)," Koji, who sat on the desk next to me, said.

"Hey, don't listen to him!" Shoyo stormed over.

"It's okay Koji, I don't mind helping him, it's fun," I said with a smile, ignoring my racing heart.

"If you say so. Anyway, I've got to get to football practice so see you later!" He ran out the classroom, waving as he went.

"I know you have your heart set on volleyball Shoyo but... our school doesn't even have a volleyball team," I pointed out the obvious. Yukigaoka junior school hadn't had a volleyball team in a long time, and it seemed as though Shoyo was the only person who really cared about the sport.

"Then I'll just have to show people how amazing volleyball is! Starting with you, so c'mon!" He took my hand and almost pulled my arm from the socket as he dragged me from the classroom and out of the school. Near our school there was a set of public courts for various different sports including tennis and basketball, and there was also one for volleyball.

"Shoyo slow down! I don't have as much stamina as you!" I called after him and he laughed, letting go of my hand and rubbing the back of his head awkwardly.

"Sorry," he said, blushing a little. "But look! The court is free! C'mon, lets go!" He pulled his familiar volleyball from his bag and threw it to me. "You remember how to set, don't you?"

"I think so... but I'm still not good at it," I defended myself.

"Don't worry, you'll be great!" He said and I gulped, taking my place by the net. I took in a deep breath and threw it, perhaps a little too weakly as it didn't go nearly as high as I wanted it to. Still Shoyo somehow ran as fast as lightning, but his jump was too high and the ball didn't connect with his fingertips.

"Ah! I'm sorry Shoyo!"

"Hey don't apologise! We'll go again and we'll both get better!" He encouraged. I envied his ability to stay positive no matter what life threw at him, like the fact that not enough people were interested in his favourite sport to form a team, or that it'll be unlikely he'll play in a competition before high school.

Once again I threw the ball into the air, having angled it better. Shoyo was able to slam it down on the other side of the court effortlessly and I couldn't help but beam. "That was amazing!" I praised.

"Your setting skills are getting better each time! You'd be great as a setter in a team," Shoyo said and my heart rate excelled a little at the compliment.

"Wow, really? You're not just saying that, are you?" I asked, knowing he liked to over-exaggerate.

"No I'm serious! It'd be great if we could be on a team together! It's annoying that boys and girls can't play in official tournaments together," he pouted adorably.

"When we get to high school you'll be able to play as part of a team," I pointed out.

"But high school is so long away!" He cried dramatically.

"Well in the mean time we can keep on practicing, right?" I suggested, gesturing the ball. His scrunched up face immediately loosened, a smile forming on his lips.