31: Koushi Sugawara - The Setter

It was our last year at Karasuno High School and I was determined to make the most of it. I was going to take the girls volleyball team far, I was determined to what with me being their ace and vice captain. I was going to make every practice count, even if some of my teammates weren't as motivated as me.

Someone who was as motivated as me however was my boyfriend Koushi, the setter for the boy's volleyball team at Karasuno. After practice one evening we were walking home, hand in hand, and Koushi began telling me of the new first years and talking about two of them in particular. "They don't get on... their personalities are like water and oil. Daichi's already threatening to not let them join if they keep messing around like this," Koushi sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"You're the vice captain, can't you say anything?" I asked holding his hand comfortingly.

"Pfft, I've tried. We're having a three versus three match this Saturday, one team having Kageyama, Hinata and Tanaka whilst the other has our other first years and Daichi. Tanaka and I are gonna get up early tomorrow morning to help them... we'll help them practice but it means I won't be able to walk to school with you tomorrow morning," he said in an adorably apologetic way.

"Aw that's okay, I'll forgive you," I ruffled his fluffy silver hair. "Are they good?"

"Yeah, we saw them both play at the middle school prelims. One of them, Kageyama, is the setter from Kitagawa Daichii and he's good. Dedicated, but can't work as a team. Hinata on the other hand has one solid skill and that's his spikes. Realistically they should go together perfectly, but their personalities just... clash," Koushi said as we entered his house.

"Hm... well if Daichi's already threatening to not let them join unless they work as a team then surely they'll try their hardest, right?" I asked and he sighed. "Well what's their opposition like?"

"Tall," Koushi said, us walking into his room and stripping ourselves of our bags and blazers so we could comfortably lay in his bed. "Probably the same height as Asahi. And they've been playing together for years so they know each other's playing style well... Tanaka and I have our work cut out for us- sorry, I've been talking nonstop about my team! What about you and the girls? Have you got any decent first years?"

"A couple but... well I worry that no one is as motivated as me. Even our captain... I'm the only one who suggests morning and lunch practice, who wants to stay behind and work on my receiving... if it wouldn't hurt their feelings so much I'd consider joining you boys for practice," I sighed. "But they're girls so... they'll make a big drama about it. Don't tell them I said that," I added quickly and he chuckled, kissing my head.

"Your secrets safe with me," he said with a smile.

- Timeskip -

Once again I was the only one out of the team that was truly trying. Everyone else, even Michimiya, wasn't fussed about staying for extra practice even though we had the tournament approaching so I had our side of the gym all to myself. Us girls had to share the gym with the basketball team all of whom liked to try and get my attention as I slammed the volleyball against the wall repeatedly. I had had enough of their advances so I decided to head to the boys gym, hoping that some of their practice would rub off on me.

I entered to see Koushi and their new first year setter, Kageyama, tossing to their teammates who formed a line. I was jealous of all of their motivation and the fact they had a new coach but I was glad they were finally doing well as a team.

Their practice soon finished and I walked home with them, holding hands with Koushi but he seemed quiet. He had seemed a little different over the past couple of weeks, a little down and dejected but I wasn't sure why. There were a couple of practice matches they had arranged with other schools where he didn't want me to attend which was a first - he'd usually happily let me tag along. I'd even spoken to him a couple of times about watching him play during the approaching tournament but he'd shot me down.