26: Tobio Kageyama - Unbreakable

Requested by6lsavella9

 When I was ten years old my father got a job in the south of Japan, forcing my family to move from Miyagi where I was born and where I had grown up. I loved the scenery, the countryside, the schools I went to and particularly the people I was friends with. I had numerous friends and liked them all, but there was one that stood out above the rest.

Tobio Kageyama and I were the closest of friends, nothing able to keep us apart. We'd be together all day at school and wed play with each other after. Tobio taught me how to play volleyball and always wanted me to throw the ball to him so he could practice tossing. In return he let me draw and paint him, as I was a skilled artist despite my young age.

Both Tobio and I showed strength in our passions and we supported each other endlessly. The other kids like to poke fun at us, claiming we were in love but we were naive to the feeling as we were only ten. We didn't know what love felt like, but we knew for certain that we were unbreakable. The bond we shared was so strong it could never be broken.

The day we had to part ways was hard. He knew I was moving away and it wasn't exactly down the road. Neither of us were sure when we'd see each other again, so we made sure we got each others exact addresses so we could write to each other everyday like we promised we would. Together we stood, our hands intertwined in the playground we'd often hang out in to play volleyball and draw. "I'm going to miss you Tobio," I mumbled and he nodded, sniffing.

"I'm gonna miss you too," he muttered, apparently embarrassed as he averted his eye contact making me giggle.

"We'll write to each other everyday though, won't we?" I asked, trying to catch his eye. He finally looked at me, a bright pink hue upon his cheeks.

"Yes. We will," he agreed, smiling slightly.

"This isn't a goodbye forever... I'll come back," I assured him and he nodded. "Here, I... wanted you to have this," I pulled a drawing from my bag and handed it over to him carefully. His eyes lit up when he saw it like I hoped they would. It was a drawing of Tobio himself, concentrated on tossing the ball perfectly.

"Thank you (y/n)... this is incredible," he praised, his eyes glued to the piece.

"It's my favourite drawing I've done," I admitted and his head shot up.

"If it's your favourite then you should keep it," he said quickly but I shook my head.

"No it's okay. I want you to have it. And I hope you'll think of me any time you look at it," I smiled at the thought of him hanging it proudly in his bedroom.

"I will. Here, you can have this," he pulled his favourite keychain off of his bag and handed it to me confidently.

"But this is your favourite!"

"And now you have something that will always make you think of me whenever you see it," he said proudly and I smiled, staring down at the keychain. It was of the pink volleyball mascot, his arms and legs outstretched. "I'm going to miss you (y/n)," he mumbled, tears coming to his dark blue eyes. The last thing I wanted to do was to leave him with the image of me crying horribly but I was scared that I wasn't going to have a choice as I too felt the tears coming.

"I'm going to miss you too Tobio," I whispered, pulling him in for a tight hug which he reciprocated. We stood like this for a while, soaking up each others touch whilst we could. He was my best friend, and I had no idea when the next time I was going to be able to see him was given the fact we were moving so far away.

There was a loud car horn sounding nearby, it causing us to pull away and look. It was my mothers car parked on the side of the road near the park and I let out a sigh, knowing this was it. I wiped my eyes roughly and turned back to my friend, the sadness in his eyes making my heart break. With a sudden urge of confidence I leant forward and pecked his cheek, pulling away and seeing his face already as bright as a cherry. "Goodbye Tobio," I mumbled, tears flowing from my eyes. I quickly turned and ran to my mothers car, glancing back at Tobio before I entered the vehicle, seeing him staring longingly at me. He sent me one last wave before I clambered into the car, my mother handing me a tissue and the two of us driving back home to greet my father. It was that evening that the three of us left Miyagi.