14: Daichi Sawamura - The City Girl

I trudged down the lonely country road, passing a couple of discount stores and a few small houses along the route. Frustration had filled me over the past couple of days, as my family and I had to flee from the city. My father had gotten involved with some bad men, and in order to keep my mother and I safe he demanded we leave Tokyo and head for somewhere more discreet, and that's how we ended up in the Miyagi Prefecture.

I missed the city with all my heart. Being able to simply walk outside and have the shops you want to visit on the same street as your apartment was heaven. The hustle and bustle of the businessmen/women heading to work and the students of the large Tokyo schools all congregating on the trains to get there on time was now all taken away from me in the blink of an eye. The designer shops had gone, the stylishly dressed people had vanished and the classy, high end city life we had as a family had ran through my fingertips.

Now I was attending a school called Karasuno. It was on the edge of a small, slightly run-down town. I had joined the school half-way through the term, in other words everyone had already made their friend groups and I was now the outsider, particularly as I was a city girl.

The road I had to walk on to get to our tiny, new apartment was almost a dirt track. There were fields either side, and beyond that were trees. It had been raining earlier that day so I had to be careful not to stand in any of the muddy puddles.

A sudden buzz around me caused me to waft my hands around, in the hope that I'd scare off any bug that dare get to close. The buzzing continued however, and I caused me not to notice the car that was approaching behind me until it honked its horn. I jumped so hard that I lost my footing, and ended up falling into the long grass on the side of the road.

Mud got all over my new school skirt and shirt, almost tipping me over the edge of frustration. "You've got to be kidding me!" I cried out, looking at the mess I'd made. "I hate this damn place!"

"It's not that bad, once you get used to the countryside," a male voice said and I looked up to see a man with dark brown hair and a kind smile on his face. If he wasn't wearing a sports top that said Karasuno High School, I'd have mistaken him for someone older. "Do you want a hand?" He asked, holding out his own. My stubborn pride didn't want to admit defeat, but I didn't want to stay in this mud-pool any longer than necessary.

"Thanks," I muttered. Now that I was standing I could see the extent of the mess, knowing that my mother was going to kill me once I got back to the flat.

"You're (l/n), aren't you? The new girl?" He asked and I nodded. "Daichi Sawamura. I'm in your class," he held out his hand for me to shake which I did do, just to be polite. Now that he'd said his name it did ring a bell, and I remembered the teacher calling it out during registration.

"Hi," I said simply.

"Do you want me to walk you home? So that I can stop you if you almost fall in any more puddles," he said with a small smile.

"Sure, why not?" I said after a moment to think. Maybe this was a way I could actually get a friend around here. "I don't know how you live here. There's nothing to do and there's bugs everywhere."

"You get used to it. It's not a bad place to live once you explore it a little," he defended his home.

"All I know is that I definitely prefer Tokyo. At least stuff happened in Tokyo. It just seems like a bore here," I said and he laughed.

"How about I show you around the town? Then once you actually see the place, you can make your judgement," he suggested.

"Why?" I asked and he shrugged.