9: Hajime Iwaizumi - The Marriage

I leant my head back in a desperate attempt to stop the tears from escaping my eyes, but they fell anyway. It had been like this a lot recently - at quiet points in the day I'd find myself stopping and starting to cry, knowing there was no escape from what was happening in my life. My life had been planned out, and not by me.

I was the daughter of a wealthy businessman, who was involved in the sports industry. Despite me showing interest in the CEO position once my father retires, my family were very traditional and the spot was only vacant for men. My father believed women to be people who looked after the house and children, and that was the life he had planned out for me. He was a scary man and my mother felt as though she couldn't argue against his ways.

Through his various connections in the company and the fact many people wanted to kiss his ass just so they could get in his good books, it didn't take him long to find a 'suitable' man for me to marry. His name was Hajime Iwaizumi.

Iwaizumi was the only son of the owners of our partner company, and both his and my father agreed to our marriage swiftly. It seemed as though neither of us had a say in the matter, and merely a week later my father had packed all of my belongings and had me moving out of the family home, into Iwaizumi's apartment which was where I was now.

I barely knew Iwaizumi, despite the two of us now living together. I still felt like an alien in this apartment. We slept in different rooms, he went to work all day and sometimes he wasn't back until late. We didn't know much about each other, only the simple things like where the other was from and what foods we liked.

My mother had given me a few good pointers on how to be a good housewife, and I came to the conclusion that there was no escaping this life so I had to instead embrace it as much as I could. I had to learn how to cook and clean well, how to speak to your husband and how to work around his schedule.

The clock in the lounge chimed 19:00, it catching my attention. I quickly wiped my eyes and turned the hoover back on, focussing on my housewife duties but it was boring, especially as everything was already clean from the exact same routine I followed yesterday. Suddenly the door opened and I stiffened up a little, but soon went to greet my fiancé. Before in his sights however, I slipped on the engagement ring that I kept in my pocket when he wasn't around. "Welcome home," I said politely, stepping into the hallway to greet him.

"Yeah, hi," he said plainly, stripping himself of his coat and throwing it carelessly onto the shoebox. I quickly picked it up for him and hung it up so that it wouldn't crease. I saw him staring at me funnily out the corner of his eye, so I quickly stood up straight again.

"Have you had anything to eat?" I asked, my fingers entangled together.

"No... I haven't," he said.

"I have cooked up a meal if you wish to eat," I gestured the dining area and he nodded, following me inside. I winced as he threw his briefcase onto the sofa I had spent ages neatening. He sat down at the table as I prepared the food, laying out the dishes in front of him. He glanced up at me, then scoffing and helping himself to the food. "Is there something wrong?" I asked nervously, sitting in front of him.

"I don't know why you make such an effort. This marriage is arranged, I couldn't care less about it you know. So quit putting on a show, you don't have to do any of this crap," he said and I felt my heart hurt, not at the content of his words but at the lack of gratitude he portrayed. I gritted my teeth, anger flooding my body but I knew better than to retaliate. Instead I ate in silence, him quickly leaving the table once he was done and leaving me to clear the dishes. As soon as I had however, I excused myself and headed straight to my bedroom, not wanting to spend a moment longer with him.