13: Hajime Iwaizumi - His Best Friends Love

- Iwaizumi's POV -

"I-I like you Iwaizumi, as more than a friend! Please go out with me!" She bowed ninety degrees in front of me, clearly very nervous. I stood on the spot, my mouth dry as nothing but dilemmas filled my mind. I liked (l/n), quite a lot - she was kind and charismatic, not caring about what others thought about her. I would happily say yes to her and be her boyfriend, however my only problem was that my best friend liked her too.

- Flashback -

It was after school practice and as always a handful of Oikawa's fangirls lingered on the balcony overlooking the gym. The first years still seemed impressed by his little gang, but Matsu, Makki and I assured them that by the end of the year they'd be sick of them. It wasn't only Oikawa's fans that liked to watch us practice, a lot of the students did as we were the most successful sports team Aoba Johsai had to offer.

Today however I spotted someone up on the balcony whom I'd never seen before. It was (y/n) (l/n) from my class, someone who had intrigued me ever since the start of school. She was pretty, that much was obvious, but she was also carefree. She lived life with no worries, and had a positive attitude about everything. I smiled when I saw her and to my surprise she waved down at me.

"Hey look Iwa-chan, (y/n)'s come to watch me play too!" Oikawa said, suddenly appearing by my side. I furrowed my eyebrows a little, it probably being true that she came to watch him as opposed to me. He waved and I thought I noticed her faulted a little, then waving again with a little less enthusiasm.

"Oi, captain! Vice captain! Back to practice!" Coach called and together we got back to work.

After practice Oikawa and I walked home together as usual, however today he was talking about (l/n) non stop. I was a little confused as to why he was so fixated on this one girl, and it was irritating me to the point where I couldn't help but blurt it out.

"Why are you so damn obsessed with (l/n)?" I asked, a little louder than intended. He looked at me, shocked.

"Is it not obvious?" He asked and I furrowed my eyebrows. "I like her Iwa-chan, I like her a lot!"

My stomach dropped at his words. The girl I was crushing on, the girl I wanted to be my girlfriend was also my best friends crush. Irritation flooded my veins; out of all the girls in the school, all the girls that were desperate for his attention he had to go for the one girl that didn't seem interested in him?

"Why?" I found myself asking.

"Is it not obvious? She's so cute, and she's sweet! How could I not like her?" He said and I gritted my teeth.

"What about all your damn fangirls? Don't you care about any of them?!" I asked and he tapped his chin.

"They're nice, and some of them are pretty but not in comparison to (y/n). She's so much fun... she makes me feel good," he said. I clenched my fists, trying to understand how and why of all the girls in the school, of all the girls who were interested it was the girl I liked that he had to be crushing on. "Iwa-chan?"

"What?" I said gruffly.

"You okay?"

"I'm fine- look I gotta get home, so I'll see you tomorrow," I said, setting off at a jog to get home and away from him as quickly as possible.

When home I slammed the door shut, letting out a few swear words. I thought about (l/n), and how close I was to asking her on a date but of course Oikawa had to be into her, and I knew that out of the two of us she would pick him. Even if I did have a chance with her, Oikawa was my best friend since I was a child and the last thing I wanted to do was to hurt him.