30: Kei Tsukishima - Confessions

Requested bylav_ile

 My friends had been pressuring me into admitting my true feelings for the past three months and frankly I was getting tired of it. Usually I was a little bit of a pushover, giving in to peer pressure quite easily but in this case I was holding my ground, and that was because there was so much on the line.

One of my closest friends was called Kei Tsukishima, and against my will I had developed feelings for him. I never wanted to but over the past year he had changed, he had become more dedicated to his sport, he had become more friendly and more understanding yet he still held onto a little bit of his sarcastic and teasing nature which always made me laugh. I knew that my feelings weren't reciprocated but my girlfriends kept trying to convince me that they believed they were. They suggested asking Yamaguchi but I knew that the two of them were thick as thieves, and Tadashi would probably tell Kei if he found out about my feelings.

Kei's volleyball team had just won the Spring Tournament, meaning they were on their way to the Nationals and I couldn't be prouder of them. I had watched their match but didn't get the chance to speak to them until we were all back at school the following day. I rushed to their classroom, excitement fuelling my adrenaline, and I saw Kei stood with Tadashi in the corridor.

"Kei! Tadashi!" I called out to the pair of them, being close enough with them to call them by their first names in public. The two turned to me, Tadashi smiling brightly at my presence. "Congratulations, both of you, you were incredible! Kei, the way you managed to block Ushijima like that- it gave me goosebumps! And Tadashi, your serves were just mind blowing! You and your team have done so well, you must be so happy," I said, practically jumping with excitement. The corners of Kei's lips turned up into a small smile making him even cuter and my heart raced.

"Thanks (y/n), we're still trying to get over it," Tadashi said, nudging Kei.

"Yeah, thanks (y/n)," Kei repeated Tadashi's words. I wondered if now was my chance to ask him, after all I had this sudden adrenaline rush, he was clearly in a good mood after his win so I thought the chances of acceptance would be significantly higher. Confidence was flooding my veins and I decided it was now or never.

"Tadashi, could you give us a moment privacy?" I asked the freckled boy who smiled.

"Sure, I'll be in class," he said, heading into their classroom leaving Key and I alone.

"Listen Kei... there's something I've wanted to ask you for a while now but I've never had the confidence until now- I'm just going to come out and say it- I have feelings for you, more-than-friends feelings and I was hoping that maybe we could go on a date," I said extremely quickly, his eyes widening with each word. There was an aching silence, long enough for me to convince myself that what I had just done was a terrible idea, so I began to internally panic.

"Er - no, thanks," he said simply and my stomach felt as though it had been flipped upside. His rejection hurt, but more than that it was the way in which he rejected me - the tone in particular. It was almost a tone of disgust and confusion.

"Oh- okay," I muttered, keeping my eyes on the floor and refusing to look up at him. I couldn't quite believe it when the bell rang, saving me from a long and awkwardly drawn out farewell. Instead I muttered a quick bye and hurried away, feeling sick and utterly humiliated. All throughout class I couldn't concentrate, and my closest girlfriend Rio who sat at the back could tell what I had just done as I rested my chin against my palm, not paying attention to the class in the slightest.

As the hour passed all I had thought about was my awkward altercation with Kei. It wasn't his fault if he didn't feel the same way, and that he didn't want to go on a date but it was still painful and I had a feeling it was going to be painful for a while. I had at least hoped that he had given it a go, at least tried a date with me but then I also wondered whether it was better the way it currently was, as it saved me from getting my hopes up. On the other hand he could've at least tried it and if he found he liked it then we could've become something more...