11. Fence

Chapter 11
Through the eyes of Anne

Stuffing my feelings deep down I try to remember what Carl was telling me. Andrea deserved that punch. It wasn't that bad I mean I am a weak little thirteen year old it couldn't have been horrible. Anways thats problem for a later me. "This is my bag, Andrea brought my bag. " I repeat aloud for the whole prison to hear. "Well that's fantastic Anne. Why don't you go put it in your room" carol says nicely. "Sure I reply just happy to have my bag back.and with it all my personal belongings. Walking into my cell I open it up to find a brown journal. I open it up to see all of my songs and flower pressings special memories and photos.

--------------------------

Carl and I are outside kicking a rubber ball-that michonne got us to pass time as every one was outside in the back part of the prison trying to seal more gates. I kick the ball a bit to the left and it misses Carl completely, he looks up at me as if asking me what I am doing."hey I never said I was good at kicking a ball, I just have a big ego" I joke. Carl laughs and grab a the ball.

As Carl is walking back to his spot Rick comes down to where we are and asks us to help clear the gate, as it is leaning over rather far. Looking up I see a small group of walkers all trying get into the prison. The fence was bending mildly, but I could see more and more walkers coming to build up. I agree and begin to walk forward to see that Rick was still staring back. I turn around to see Carl glaring at his father, I face right at him and nod him forward. This silly little spot he is having, he needs to get over it.

We grab the sticks and dawdle down to the fence, thinking that we had some time.

Looking up I see a small herd of walkers walking straight up to the fence. "Holy shit." Carl, who was about as observant as a brick wall when he wasnt trying to pay attention looks up to see what I see.

Running down to the fence, the overwhelming noise coming from the herd as we make it. We immediately start by stabbing the walkers in the head, but it isn't enough. We need more people. We need more time.

Rick sees that we are distressed and runs down to the fence to help us. The noise from the herd is attracting more and more walkers.

As the blazing heat radiates into our skin. We are forced to sweat. The beads dripping off with every thrust. But it's not enough. The amount of walkers is doubling and the fence is bending. It creaks and that's when u think we are done for. Theres no way we could hold off this many walkers with just sticks. The fence continues to bend, so we all step back looking at what is soon to be mayhem.

We continue to take some steps back until we hear the snaps of the last peices of metal breaking. Until finally...

'snap'

The fence comes tumbling down, letting the walkers into the home that we've loved.

I stand there until I feel Carl's calloused hand twist into mine. He starts to run pulling me along. We run up to the tub of ammo and guns that we had been preparing for the govener. "Do you know how to shoot a gun" Rick asks as he is loading the magazine.

"Ummm vaguely" Rick takes my answer as a no-thankfully- and explains how to use the gun in less then ten minutes. Trying to soak up the information I try not to think about the massive herd of walkers walking straight at us. I fail miserably but have enough information from the past to remember the basics.

Loading the magazine myself I aim the gun at the walkers head using the same stance as Carl. "If they start getting close you two run" Rick says to us. A heroic speech but we both know that Carl would never leave his father's side he is to stubborn and me..I can't leave Carl by himself. So I guess if we go down then we go down together. I watch as the walkers drop like flies.

The herd starts receding. I click the trigger but nothing comes out. Turning around I grab another gun that looks like it would do damage and see that there is no more ammo left. Turning back around to warn Carl and Rick I see that they have essentially gotten most of them. Rick makes it down to his last shots, watching Carl we are left with 5 walkers. Carl and Rick grab their sticks to finish the job but while trying to find mine I spy a set of knives.

Grabbing the knives I throw one at a walker who was venturing further out. Careful not to hit Carl or Rick. The knife is a bullseye right in the eye. Remembering my skills I pick up another knife and get to know the weight. I pull the knife by my head and then swing. Again the knife hitting the walker.

Turning to see that Carl had gotten the other walkers while Rick was watching me eyes wide. "Where did you learn to do that?" He questions while Carl turns around to see what is happening.

"My father taught me."

"We should get you some more knives because you have great aim"

Chuckling at this I tell myself that I am not in trouble.

---------------------------