Interlude

Two years later~

The sound of multiple footsteps and the chattering of people, echoing around the walls of my workplace, faded away as soon as I closed the door of my office.

A breath of satisfaction left my body once I plopped down on the cushioned chair- One custom-made as a gift for pulling the company out of a difficult phase.

My workplace has been nothing but a crowd of excited people, every time they had a new project on board.

Last year, in the month of July, I got promoted to the position of Editor-in-Chief at the publishing company I have been working for, for about three years now. And I couldn't be happier to be assisting a very calm and hard-working group of juniors under me.

"Seonbae!!" Including this one. Only minus the calm part.

"At least wait till you reach here before you start yelling in excitement." I sighed. Knowing pretty well how much my words will get ignored by this particular person. Again.

"Oh. Right. I'm so sorry, Seonbae." He bowed. A full 90 degrees. "I got a little excited by the news."

Indeed. He is the only one who gets the most excited out of all the juniors on my team. In the whole company, to be exact. And I liked that about him. Enthusiastic. Optimistic. Able to lighten up the mood in a room. Reminds me of a certain someone I know.

"So, is it true?"

I looked up at the cheerfully excited man. "What is?"

"That we finally managed to fix a meeting?"

My lips curled into a smile. "Yes." A screech, like someone suddenly pulled the break of a car, left his body. Then I added, "We are finally meeting him."

"No way," He covered his mouth with his hands, dramatically acting like he couldn't believe it. Or maybe he actually couldn't. "And you've chosen me to assist you in the meeting?"

I nodded and saw him holding a hop of joy, respecting how I appreciated people acting calmly around me.

I wish he had considered respecting my other preferences too when I asked him not to bring me a coffee- or any other snacks- once every day. Or twice. Or thrice.

Though I never showed it. I honestly appreciated his care and effort. It's only because of him that I regained my health from the mental breakdown I had to go through a year ago. Around the same time I got promoted.

"The meeting is next week. I hope you prepare for it well." I said and looked at my phone's screen which lit up with a notification.

"You don't have to worry, Seonbae. I'll give my best to make you feel proud to have me by your side."

"I am," I mumbled as I smiled at him. Meaning it. "Now go back to your work. We'll talk about it later."

"At home?"

My eyes widened while my heart might have halted its beats for a second. "Stop saying stuff like that during work. People don't know certain things."

He laughed in a low voice. "You look cute when you're flustered."

"Get out."

He laughed a little this time.

I finally checked my phone once I was left alone in my office. And as soon as I clicked on the notification, opening the text message, my body froze with a strange shiver traveling down my spine.