Chapter 20

I stayed awake for an hour. Tuk was sleeping but everyone else was awake. We were all too anxious, I didn't want to wake up a human again until I was sure the RDA were gone.

"Do you think we'll fight another war?" Lo'ak asked as the fireflies lit a warm glow in the room. His shadow jumping behind him against the wall.

"Honestly?" I ask.

"Yeh" he spoke, hardly moving his mouth.

"Probably" I say. Neytiri threw me a look but she knew that we couldn't lie to him.

"I'll fight" he says.

"No you won't" Neytiri scolds.

"I will, for sure" I say.

"You're not well" she scolds me next as we sit quietly, overthinking.

"I need to get Spider back" I say, hugging my knees to my chest.

"Let's just sleep, see what the Chief comes up with in the morning" Jake says.

..........

I push the link bed roof off me and shut down the computers. I do everything quietly and rushed. I leave the small base and make my way back home.

......

I scout out the area as I approach. It looks like the RDA are gone. I get closer and enter through the hidden tunnel back into the base. I stay around, watching through the air holes, everyone's gone. I knock a faint pattern noise.

(•...•...••) I knock.

There's nothing happening. Then I see a scientist coming over. They open the doors and slide open the backdoor. I was so relieved.

"Thank god, is he alright?" I ask, walking out and straight past them into the next room.

My eyes scanned the room then spotted him right away. I began to cry straight away. My legs almost gave way and I stumbled over to him.

He was a bloody mess, almost unconscious sitting in a chair. Max and another woman was besides him, stitching him up.

"Y/n..." He whispered out, barely able to talk as his arm slightly raised towards me. I grabbed his hand and looked up to him from my knees.

"Dad...I'm so sorry..." I cried and sobbed. His head was facing the celing, bloody mouth, swollen eye and bruised up cheek. He had bandages on his ear and fingers. All he could do was stroke my head. I cried more, crying into his lab coat. Max was pretty beaten too but not as bad.

"I should've come out" I sobbed. My throat tight and my eyes burning from my salty tears. My chest was breathing awfully and I felt absolutely rotten. 

"...I'd do it again for your safety... you're everything to me..." He struggled to talk. I looked up to him.

"He could've killed you because of me" I cried.

"He had it out for us, he knew us so it wasn't really all about you" Max told me. That gave me a little relief at least.

"I won't let it happen again. I'll kill him" I say, angrily through my tears.

...........

A few days later in the Metkayina Clan

The whole clan has been preparing for war. Making new weapons, more ammunition, training animals and training warriors. Ao'nung's training has sped up and I've been restricted to light labour. Ti'loni has been training Ao'nung instead of me due to my injuries and Tonowari wanting to keep us separate.