Chapter 46

"Why did you bring me back?" I asked Quaritch as he looked down to me sitting up on the rocks we were on.

"Why save you?" He asked, not believing his ears.

"Y e s." I gritted through my teeth.

"You're asking why I saved your life?" He asks again, looking at me like I'm insane.

"You shouldn't have done it" I tell him, almost crying, I had to force my face to look away.

"Hey now-" he says, grabbing my shoulder again and forcing me to look at him. He stopped talking when he saw how broken my face looked back at him. He stared at me for a few seconds, almost mirroring my emotion.

"I was free... You've brought me back to hell..." I say, tears streaming down my eyes as I think of how Neteyam, Ti'loni and my mom have just slipped out my fingers. He didn't say anything for a moment as he watched my reaction. I rolled myself over and began to stand.

Once I stood I looked to the distance. There was open sea for miles. I glanced back at him, his Ikran standing next to him.

"Why did you bring me back?" I ask again, mostly to myself as more tears began to flow down my cheeks. I've been brought back from what I'd easily call heaven, I was so happy there and now it's gone.

"Because I care about you" he spoke. He leaned on his Ikran and held his hand out to me.
"Come on Y/n..." He says, breathing a little heavy from exhaustion. I stared at him for a moment.

"No... I'll take myself back" I say and sit down, facing away from him a little as I gaze at the ocean beyond us.

"To Jake?" He asked.

"No, to where I was moments ago before you pulled me back here" I spit hastily.

"No you won't" he says. I didn't look at him but seconds later I hear rocks being scraped under feet and he's right next to me. I look up at him, he grabs my upper arm and pulls me up carefully, he knew I was quite fragile right now.

"Let go, you've done enough" I huff at him, piercing his heart with my words. His face could've killed me back with regret of saying that. He looked hurt, but he slowly released his grip.

"I can't live alone" he says, his tone lowering quietly. I lift my head to look at him.

"You'll find the RDA again, they're all over" I huff back and look away again.

"Spider left me, I can't lose you too" he spoke again in the same tone. This time I snapped my head round to see him, not believing my ears.

"Can't lose me? You literally stabbed my avatar six times! You were gonna kill me!" I shout a little.

"Your avatar doesn't mean anything for you! Your real body is this one, I knew I wasn't killing you I just needed your avatar out the way. I didn't shoot you, Lyle did and if you remember I rushed over to save you" he told me, recalling a few hours ago.

"There's no point in me being human" I tell him.

"No point? That's ridiculous"

"I'm useless here as a human, I needed my avatar to blend with Pandora, what use is a human in this world!?" I ask.

"You're the real you, not some alien" he says like the human Quaritch would've.

"Just leave me please" I say quietly in return.

"Look, I can get you another avatar if you come with me" he offers.

"Nah, I just wanna stay here"

"On a rock? You're being stupid" he tells me.