Chapter 32

It wasn't for long but it was definitely something. If I could keep practicing then I might be able to use my avatar whenever.

Late afternoon

Z-dog come through the door this time to collect me. I felt awfully weak and my hands were shaking, I could barely stand with a good posture.

"Come on then" she says, popping a gum bubble from her lips as she stood at the doorway with a gun in hand pointing to the floor.

I got up best I could with my current poor balance, I walked to her then out the door. She shut it after me using the buttons by the wall.

"Where we going?" I ask, not knowing which corridoor to face.

"Canteen" she says. I then turn down the hall that takes us to the main room. Spider's there again already seated when I enter. He smiles and I mirror his smile, he waves for me to come over. I pace towards him but I'm pulled back my my shoulder. I pause and look up to Z-dog.

"Huh?"

"Here" she says then reaches over to a table and picks up another protein bar, she also hands me a small carton of custard too.

"Oh, uh- thanks" I say.

"M hm" she humms, popping another bubble. I turn back round to Spider then sit down opposite him.

"How's your day been?" He asks.

"Pretty shit, yours?" I ask in return.

"Alright, I haven't done much but stay in my room most of the day, Z-dog gave me a book but I couldn't make out most of the words" he says.

"Oh, sounds better than mine. Quaritch literally force connected our avatar hair together to try and get some valuable memories from me" I say. Spider's face then screwed up.

"Isn't that like, for mates?" He asks.

"Most times yes. I don't really know how it works, but I do know that it seems to pass memories and emotions to each other." I say.

"Do you know what memories he saw? I mean you don't want him seeing where you and Jake were staying right?" He asks.

"He claims he just saw me when I've been stressed, nothing about Jake" I say.

"Did you see anything?"

"I saw his last moments alive as a human, then I felt his emotions when he first realised who we were" I tell him.

"What was he thinking...?" Spider asks, wanting to know how his dad felt seeing him for the first time in fifteen years.

"He was surprised to see you of course, he just kind of mentally claimed us as his property if that makes sense, I dunno how to describe it though, it's pretty weird with me" I say.

"What do you mean weird?" He asks carefully.

"Like...it's not a daughter feeling but I don't know what it is, I don't think he knows either"

"Damn"

"Yeah, he pretty much stormed out after it" I say. In return Spider scoffs a little, amused.

*Plonk!*

"Uh!" Spider jumped and looked towards the noise next to me. I flinched a little too, snapping my head to my left to see Quaritch and Lyle take a seat next to us. Lyle sitting besides Spider.

"This is the cool kids table-" I frown at the two space Invaders.

"We're cool" Lyle says. I throw him a hackie.