21.

Choi Gyuri was dying

Or at least, that's what it felt like.

As a uterus-owning human, she was used to the monthly torture of menstruation and knew how to deal with it for the most part. It was uncomfortable and she cursed her body for making her go through it, but she could deal with it.

This time, however, it was different. Never had she ever been in this much pain before during her period, and she truly felt like something must be very wrong for her to feel such an excruciating amount of pain. She had noticed that the cramps she got before her period started were heavier than usual, but didn't think too much of it as she simply tried to ignore the pain.

And now, on the heaviest day of her cycle, she felt as if she could pass out from the pain. She was sitting in a lecture, clenching her jaw to fight the pain in her abdomen. Everything the professor said went in through one ear and out through the other as Gyuri felt completely lightheaded from the pain. Her head was pounding and at this point, she was counting down the minutes until her lecture was over so she could rush home right away.

She slowly released a breath, closing her eyes in an attempt to relax. She had already taken some Advil, but it didn't seem to be working for her today. Because of all the pain, she couldn't focus at all and didn't absorb anything from her lecture which meant she might as well have stayed at home. It wouldn't have eased the pain, but it would have at least been more comfortable.

The professor announced they were done for the day and Gyuri immediately started packing her things, as did everyone else. She winced at the loud noise that erupted as all the students started talking to each other and packed up their things before exiting the room. It seemed like every little sound was too loud for her and she hurried to get herself out of there and into the peaceful bubble of her car.

She closed her eyes and fell back into the seat, taking a few seconds to breathe before she placed her bag on the seat next to her and she backed the car out of the parking space, and drove home. The thumping feeling in her head prevented her from being as aware as she usually was, and she tried her best to stay calm and drive like she always did. However, she felt dizzy from the pain and her reaction speed was way lower than usual, so when the car in front of her hit the brakes she didn't register it until the very last moment. Her heart stopped and she flung the steering wheel to the left, only just managing to switch lanes before doing serious damage.

She held the steering wheel tight with two hands, frozen after the close call she had with the car that was now next to her. She breathed out, blinking slowly to refocus, and bowed her head in apology to the driver of the car who shot her an angry look. Her heart was beating rapidly and she swallowed. The rest of her drive was better and much less eventful, so she was able to reach her apartment safely without bringing anybody else in danger.