29.

Working at the vet was usually a great way to spend time for Gyuri, but not today

Working at the vet was usually a great way to spend time for Gyuri, but not today. Ever since the moment a few days prior when Miran told her about a euthanasia appointment coming up, Gyuri had dreaded it. She had witnessed them before and knew exactly how the procedure went, but Miran had told Gyuri she was going to be the one to do it, and that was a first. She had never actually been the one giving the pet the shot. The fact that it was an older, sick dog didn't help with Gyuri's already fragile heart when it came to these things.

And so, as she was on her way to work in the afternoon, her heart was heavy. She knew that she had to do this in order to grow in her skills and also learn how to deal with the emotional settings of appointments like these. Still, she found herself wanting to turn around with every step she took closer to the clinic. She halted right before the entrance and took a small moment to compose herself. She sighed deeply and shook her shoulders to shake off her worries.

Miran greeted her at the front desk as she was writing down something on her agenda. She had the phone pressed to her ear and waved to the young girl with a kind smile before returning her attention to the phone. Gyuri passed through the door next to the desk to enter the private part of the clinic, which was for employees only. She took off her coat and hung it on one of the hooks by the door before pouring herself a cup of coffee and sitting down behind the desk in the office. She busied herself with some administrational tasks for the time being while she waited for Miran to catch her up about today's agenda.

The door to the office opened soon enough, revealing the older woman who held a clipboard under her arm as she smiled at Gyuri and pulled out a chair to sit across from her.

"Good afternoon,"

"Good afternoon, Miran," Gyuri smiled softly, turning her attention from the computer to the woman in front of her. Miran put down the clipboard on the desk and watched Gyuri. Miran knew how Gyuri must be feeling since she herself also hated putting pets down but at least she had done it way more. It would be a first for Gyuri, and that made it all the more scary.

Miran saw herself in the girl in front of her; she remembered a time when she herself was new to the field and had to carry out these procedures with a troubled mind too. It was probably the hardest part about being a vet; knowing that, no matter your skills or knowledge, sometimes letting the animal go was the better option. Not only was it tough seeing all those beautiful creatures drift off into an eternal sleep, the heartbreaking sight of their owners crying made it even worse. It proved how connected humans could be to animals.

Miran handed Gyuri a cup of steaming tea. "To calm down a bit," she told her and Gyuri smiled softly in thanks. The two women sat in silence in the office, both mentally preparing themselves for what was coming as well as enjoying the momentary peace. Gyuri went over the procedure in her head. It really wasn't that complicated, but she wanted to make sure she did everything right and stayed professional in the progress. She expected she'd have more trouble with that last part than the first. It was important for the vet to stay calm and professional, to not add to the distressed state the pet owners would most likely be in.