Last edited » July 14, 2023
Author's Note » snapgap is a cross between instagram and snapchat (i'm guessing) in canterlot. in rollercoaster of friendship, vignette valencia comments on how popular rarity is on the platform, so that's what we're using now

also, at the time of rainbow rocks, Sunset Shimmer's defeat was 6 moons ago and although 6 months to be redeemed and start a band may sound uncanny, i think it's nicely spaced out and gives Sunset time to genuinely learn, grow, and be adopted into the Mane 6. it's unrealistic even for the Mane 6 (who all were tormented by sunset) to immediately forgive some bully who turned into a demon and tried to enslave the entire school to do her bidding LOL so yeah. plus, being besties with someone takes time and sunset was still insecure about the whole thing
Referenced Movie(s) » Rainbow Rocks (2014)
- - -

HOURS LATER - SCHOOL DISMISSED

that was nice for a change   —You internally remark as you walk to your car. Your school day typically starts and ends with silence, with minor conversation in between if you ask your teachers a question. However, Rainbow Dash keeping you company during lunch wasn't so bad. You still valued your me-time, though.

"[Your name]!" Speak of the devil. You looked over.

She and her group of friends weren't parked too far away, only enough to have had to come out of the second set of back doors to the school. As you looked at Rainbow Dash, her blue arm frantically waved in the air as her free hand was curved against the side of her mouth to help project her voice. You gently waved back.

they're really all friends   —Sunset Shimmer was walking with the group of girls, smiling and talking.

You don't exactly know what happened, as you didn't go to the Fall Formal this year (or last year), but you do know from experience that Sunset Shimmer was the talk of the school for several weeks after the event. Though, because you lack school friends, all you know is that she no longer bullies people, but your peers still steer clear of her, sans her six new friends.

But because you only transferred to public school last year - your first year of high school - you don't have any history with the girl, and thus don't hold anything against her either. She's in many of your classes as, like you, she's enrolled in the International Baccalaureate program, but, apparently, she's been trouble since elementary, which explains the still widely rejected behavior after six months.

You put your school bag in the passenger seat of your car as you swooped into the driver's seat. While you put the key in the ignition, you were not in any particular rush and scrolled on your phone.

38 likes  —You passively looked at the slideshow of yourself that you posted on Snapgap. In no way were you trying to build a platform for future plans of content creation, but you like to post yourself when your confidence and ego are particularly high. It boosts morale, and for a page with less than 200 followers and no real-life friends, you were pleasantly satisfied with almost 40 likes.

my clothes are in here, right  —You removed them from their usual spot yesterday so they could be washed. Moving your rearview mirror to see your backseat, there lie your black uniform, sitting nicely in a folded pile.

Angling the mirror back up, you put your seatbelt on and shift into reverse. Turning the radio on as you gently raise your foot off of the break, you made your way to Canterlot Mall, where your workplace resides.

AT WORK

"[Your name]!" One of your co-workers, Sapphire Jade, called. Out of every staff here, you were most fond of her, but considering she was usually the shift leader when you clocked in, this was to be expected. You see her every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3 to 7, but she was also just nice, yet knew how to keep her necessary relationships work-related.

"You're on the register today," she softly laughed when you sighed.

"I know, sorry. Saffron got here before you. First come, first serve." You often make it to work before him, but then again, you weren't in any particular rush today. If you actually cared, you would have left the parking lot as soon as possible.

"I don't actually care that much, it's fine," you clarified with a shrug. Sapphire chuckled as you walked to the locker room to change.

The store was called Champ Zone and it was a popular location for local civilians because it offered shoes and name-brand sweatpants in one location. However, you had no care for what covered your feet, so your 30% discount went to collecting joggers.

You opened your locker, putting your bag, phone, and school clothes in a stacked pile. If anything required your attention, your watch could easily alert you and you would handle the matter on your break.

already a person  —A blonde walked into the store as you returned from the back, her attention immediately turning to the clothes racks all around. However, she smiled at you before browsing. You returned the gesture with a wave.

During your shift, only three people worked and you all had alternating, 45-minute breaks so two people were always in the store. As you walked in, Sapphire was leaving to go on her's, yours was at 5, and Saffron Shadow's was at 6. While your co-workers call them lunch breaks, they get a kick out of you calling it a dinner break.

And in your opinion, you were completely correct and saw no room for argument. Perhaps 3 PM could pass as a lunch break, but 5 PM and 6 PM are well in the evening.

"Did you find everything?" The girl's browsing was very short. Considering Sapphire would have been on the floor greeting and helping customers, you assumed this duty yourself.

"Yeah, I just needed some sneaker cleaner." This was indeed her only item.

"10.29 — Do you want a bag?" As you looked up, Rainbow Dash was walking into the store. Her expression lift when she saw you but she skillfully contained her excitement.

100 minus 29. 29 plus what equals 100- oh, she gave me a penny   — "No, thanks. Just a receipt." She hand you a one-dollar bill, a ten, and then the penny. Giving her 70 cents, she wished you a good day.

"You work here?!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed as she - quite literally - dashed to the counter.

she's really close, wow   —You didn't back up in fear she would misinterpret the action as disgust. "As of almost two weeks ago, I just turned 16. I only work Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, though, and I'm usually in the back, restocking."

"No wonder I've never seen you..." she trailed off as she backed away. Your shoulders relaxed.

༻ ༺