𝟏

Doyun entered the small bubble tea shop

Doyun entered the small bubble tea shop. The sound of customers talking, the sight of food being made, and the noise of the air conditioner calmed her down, at least a little bit. Anything would work at this point.

She looked at the counter. The cashier wasn't the same jolly old man that she remembered. Then again, it had been a while since she had last been here. How many years had it been? 

She tried to recollect her memories, and from the blurred mental pictures of her smaller self coming here, it had been around three years at most. Not a lot had changed, surprisingly.

Instead, the cashier was a young girl, who seemed like she was in her twenties. She was much prettier than some of the models Doyun had seen on TV. Her hair was dyed brown, and she always had a smile on her face. She caught herself staring a bit too long.

She walked up to her and cleared her throat, wanting to place her order.

"Oh hello! What can I get for you?"

Her voice was different and sweet. Doyun was stunned for a good few seconds before composing herself and looking through the menu.

"Um...I'll have a medium coffee bubble tea with...tapioca pearls."

She shifted through the menu, seeing food items she hadn't seen before. Waffles? Since when? All the new flavors looked daunting, so she decided to go with the drink she usually ordered.

"Coming right up! May I have your name so I can call for you when your order is done?"

"My name's Doyun."

The girl smiled and turned to start making her drink. Doyun stood there, looking at the new improvements, and then turned to the table she often sat at. It was still there, and it brought back memories of her and her mother. 

She pulled out her laptop from her backpack and placed it gently on the table. She opened it and started with a project she had to do for school.

Occasionally she threw glances at the cashier. Realizing what she was doing, she sighed and searched through her bag for the sticky notes she always kept ready, just in case. 

Whenever the professors at her college made an important point or gave some sort of homework, she would take the sticky note and keep it on top of the respective notebook as a reminder. Then she would go home, check her notebooks and remember to do the work.

She found the bunch and pulled off one note. She took a pen from her bag as well and wrote something on it.

"Doyun! Your order is ready!"

The girl perked up to see the drink on the counter. She got up and went to take her drink. She placed the cash needed for the drink along with the sticky note. Feeling too embarrassed to sit there and watch the pretty girl read her note, she quickly packed up and left instead. 

She noticed that she saw the sticky and watched her reaction. 

She had a look on her face that Doyun couldn't read, but it certainly wasn't pleasant.

She just wanted to crawl into a hole and die now.