𝟏𝟖

Yunjin couldn't believe it

Doyun had been drugged.

Doyun, the cheerful, shy girl she loved to death.

She did have issues with her friends, and they did tell her to kill herself, but surely it wasn't that bad, right?

Right?

"Thank you for informing me. When can I visit her?"

"In about two days."

Yunjin got up, bowed, said her thanks, and left. She didn't go back to the amusement park. She just walked back to the dorms. She was thinking about a lot of things, but when she reached, she couldn't remember anything that had been going through her head. Suddenly, her phone rang. It was a call from Chaewon.

"Yunjin-ah, where are you right now?"

"In the dorms. Why?"

"We're going to a mall. For Eunchae."

"Cool."

"Also, Sakura unnie is going to sue the hell out of them."

"Why?"

"I mean, all that happened and no security guard noticed? Not even CCTV? Be real."

"True. Well, I'll cut the call now. I'm tired."

"Alright then. Bye."

Yunjin turned off her phone and placed it on the nightstand near her bed. She turned to her right in an attempt to sleep.

She ended up crying.

This was the first time she had cried over someone since she was sixteen.

She never realized how emotionally attached she was to her, how much her mood depended on her, how she felt much more...amazing, wonderful, glorious, joyful...everything simply because she met Kim Doyun.

If she had any doubt whether she loved the girl platonically or romantically, she now knew that it was the latter.

She was in too deep to let go.

Love, according to her, was beautiful, yet so painful. That warm, sweet feeling when you think of them, dreaming about a certain someone, constantly remembering all those treasured memories of the two of you together, and finding everything they do attractive, for example.

On the other hand, there was the hurtful uncertainty of whether they liked you back or not, having to deal with unsupportive parents and friends, the misery you feel when they reject you, or worse, the heartbreak you get when you find out they love someone else. 

And this was all only the first stage: having a crush.

She couldn't fall asleep, though her eyes begged for rest. She took her phone again and searched for a song to loop like she always did. Music always calmed her down, and it could be compared to therapy sometimes. After some scrolling, she found the perfect song.

Stay Alive by Jungkook.

That was what she hoped for from Doyun.

'Please you stay alive.'

She found herself crying around the time the chorus came. She resigned herself to her fate and decided to sob herself to sleep.

The next morning, Yunjin was suddenly woken up by a call on her phone. She rubbed her eyes and picked it up. Sakura was the one who called her.

"Hello...?"

"We're losing her!"

"Huh?"

"Yunjin! Doyun could die any minute now!"

"...On my way."

She practically flew out of bed, threw on some clothes, and ran to the bus stop. She waited impatiently, and after ten whole minutes, it came. She had to wait another forty minutes before reaching the hospital. Ten minutes were wasted again going through formalities at the hospital. When she reached the door of Doyun's ward, she heard muffled voices, but no sound of machines.

She was scared.

Yunjin took a deep breath and opened the door. She saw her friends holding each other tight, Eunchae already crying. She turned her head to look at the bed and witnessed a sight she never wanted to see.

Doyun...dead.

"If you had come earlier...you might have seen her alive."

"I know!"

She fell on her knees in despair and buried her head in her hands. She couldn't bear to look at the girl like this. It was all her fault. If she had reached earlier, if she had protected her, if she had been a better friend...none of this would have happened.

Regret and sorrow filled her whole being.

Thoughts of what could have been.

Everything she said and everything she never said.

Memories they created and memories she wished they did.

If only she had told her about her feelings earlier, maybe everything would have been different.

epilogue next chapter 😔