𝟐𝟕

It was late

It was late. Doyun was supposed to be sleeping, but here she was.

Kazuha was watching a video on her phone when all of a sudden it rang. She was wearing earphones so that she wouldn't disturb Yunjin or Chaewon, who were already asleep. The person calling her was Doyun, and she was curious.

"Hello?"

"Hey. This is Kazuha, right?"

"Yeah. Is everything alright Doyun unnie?"

"I hope I'm not disturbing you, it's pretty late after all..."

Kazuha checked the time. Eleven p.m. No big deal, she had stayed up for much longer.

"Nah, it's alright. I wasn't doing anything important anyway."

"I see. Uh...I don't know how to say this...but it's just between me and you, okay?"

"I won't tell anyone."

"A...lot has been happening in my life recently. College is extremely stressful and I only find misery in going there. As Yunjin probably already told you, I quit work because of it. I'm only telling you because I trust you...and I needed to get it off my chest."

That was partially the truth, so Doyun didn't feel much guilt for lying. There was silence as she contemplated telling what was actually wrong, but she decided against it.

"I've been told to kill myself, and now I'm actually considering it."

The younger girl's eyes widened. Suddenly, she heard Yunjin wake up and quickly spoke.

"Give me a few minutes unnie, I'll just mute myself...I'll tell you when I come back."

"Okay."

She climbed down the bunk bed as Yunjin sat up in hers.

"Zuha, it's eleven p.m...go f**king sleep."

"I...think you need to hear this."

"Hm?"

"Just be quiet and listen."

She gave her left earphone to Yunjin and kept the other one in her right ear.

"Okay unnie, I'm back. You can continue."

"It's like...living is getting more difficult every day, and you add college and shit to the equation...it's so f**king tiring. I just want to end it all already."

The duo heard her rant about a lot and how she wanted to die as Yunjin's eyes welled up. She knew that Doyun had 'self-harmed' and that she found college stressful and that she was suicidal, but she didn't know that it was this bad. She had no idea about the real reason behind all this. Doyun had told her that it wasn't an issue, so it never came across her mind.

"Sorry for being a burden...just forget about it. Bye."

The other girl suddenly cut the call. Kazuha looked at Yunjin and nodded silently. She took the other earphone, went back to her bed, and quickly fell asleep as the older girl sat there in disbelief. After a few minutes, she laid her head on her pillow as she attempted to do the same.

She stuffed her face in her pillow and she ended up quietly sobbing instead. She felt like the worst girlfriend someone could have. How untrustworthy was she that Doyun talked to her best friend instead of her? How dense was she that she couldn't figure out that her lover was suicidal?

 How untrustworthy was she that Doyun talked to her best friend instead of her? How dense was she that she couldn't figure out that her lover was suicidal?