10. A Dim Light Amid Despair

AUTHOR'S POV:

The new trainees stood in line at the training ground.
.

"Hey, you!" Mr. Shadis shouted, standing in front of Armin.

"Sir!" Armin said abd saluted Keith.

"Who the hell are you?!" Sadia asked.

"Armin Arlert, from Shiganshina District!" Armin replied.

"I see! That's a ridiculous name!" Shadish said. "Did your parents give it to you?!"

"My grandfather did, sir!" Armin replied.

"Arlert! Why are you here?!" Shadish asked.

Armin closed his eyes. "To help humanity achieve victory!"

"How very admirable of you!" Shadish said. "We can feed you to the Titans!" He looked behind Armin. "Third row, about face!" He turned Armin's head and moved on. "Who the hell are you?!"

"Sir! Thomas Wagner, from Trost District!" Thomas replied.
.
.

"You're next! Who the hell are you?!" Shadish asked, standing before Connie.

"Connie Springer!" Connie replied and saluted with the wrong hand. "I'm from Ragako Village on the south side of Wall Rose!"

"You have it backwards, Connie Springer!" Keith said and grabbed his head before squeezing it. "It was the first thing you were taught! This salute expresses your resolve to give your heart to the people!" He then headed the noise of chewing. He dropped Connie and turned to Sasha. "Hey, you. What do you think you're doing?"

Sasha didn't seem to have heard him.

Keith was suddenly in her face, yelling. "I'm talking to you! Who the hell are you?!"

Sasha chewed quickly, swallowed, and saluted. "Sasha Braus from Dauper Village, on the south side of Wall Rose!"

"Sasha Braus." Keith said and looked at her hands. "What is that you're holding in your right hand?"

"A steamed potato, sir!" Sasha fearlessly replied. "I found one in the cookhouse that was ready to eat so I couldn't help myself!"

"You stole it? Why?" Keith asked. "Why did you decide to eat it now?"

"I felt it would be a waste to let it get cold, so I elected to eat it now." Sasha replied.

"No, I don't understand. Why did you eat the potato?" Keith asked, confused.

"Are you asking me why people eat potatoes, sir?" Sasha asked. "Here's half of it for you." She held it out almost reluctantly.

"Half?" Keith asked.
.
.

At the baranda of the mess hall, there stood Mina, Connie, Marco, Eren, Armin and Faye, looking at Sasha running rounds.

"Whoa, he still has Potato Girl running," Connie said.

"Man, she's been at it for five solid hours." Marco said. "She's really something. Still, being told to run until she's on the verge of death didn't seem to bother her quite as much as being told she has to skip dinner."

"Dauper's a small hunting village in the mountains, isn't it?" Connie said.

Eren noticed a carriage. "What's that?"

"They're dropouts." Mina said. "They asked to work in the fields instead."

"What?" Armin said. "It's only the first day, too."

"I guess that's just how it is here." Eren said. "The powerless have no choice but to leave."

"That reminds me." Marco said, straightened. He turned to Eren. "You weren't asked to state your name and birthplace or anything."