37. Warrior

AUTHOR'S POV:

Rain came down and thick gray clouds moved in the sky.
.

Ripped red flags danced in the wind atop the Wall.
.

Scouts kept watch, using a spyglass.
.

Christa and Nifa knelt, looking down the Wall, Moblit and Petra standing nearby.

"Slowly! Bring it up slowly!" A Scout yelled.
.

Two soldiers were hanging off the Wall, escorting Ymir being pulled up the stretched.
.

"Raise it carefully now!" Moblit told them.

Steam rose from the unconscious Ymir.

Christa eyed her worriedly.

"How's Ymir?" Eren asked, kneeling on the edge of Wall, a small distance away from Christa, Marco and Nifa. "What sort of shape is she in?"

"Her right arm and leg were bitten off." Keiji responded, checking his gear. "And her insides are beaten like scrambled eggs. If she was normal, she'd be dead for sure."

'If she was normal, huh?' Eren thought. Hearing grunts, he followed it to the source.

Reiner was attempted to pull himself up with one arm, sitting in a lift.

"Reiner! Grab on!" Eren said, holding out an arm.

"Right!" Reiner said and took his hand.

Eren pulled him up.
.

"Please, believe me!" Christa said, standing before Hange. "I'm telling the truth! Ymir transformed into a Titan to fight off the other Titans and save us! She did so with no regard for her own life, which proves her loyalty to us, her comrades!"

Hange listened to her silently, expression neutral.

"It's true that her judgment until now is unforgivable. After all, she may know things useful to humanity and yet she kept quiet about it!" Christa said. "I imagine she didn't say anything in order to protect herself. But... now she's a changed person! Ymir is an ally of humanity! I know Ymir better than anybody. She's a much simpler person than she looks!"

"I see." Hange said. "Obviously, I hope we can build a trusting relationship with her." She watched two of her subordinates carry the stretcher holding Ymir. "Her judgment aside, the information she holds is a treasure for humanity. I hope we get along." She started walking, Christa following. "But you know, even if she is a simple person, this world becomes more of a confusing mess with every passing day."

Christa didn't reply.

Hange looked at her from her shoulder. "You said... your real name was Historia Reiss?"

"Yes." Historia replied. "That's right."

"Reiss, as in that noble family?" Hange asked, a bit surprised.

Christa stopped, eyes downcast. "Yes."

"I see." Hange said and stepped toward her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "We are counting on you, Historia."

Historia looked up at her. "Yeah..."

Hange walked over to Ymir and stopped before them.

Christa ran to kneel by the stretcher.

"She's still in a coma." Moblit said. "Her bleeding has stopped and we think steam is coming out of her wounds."

Christa brushed some of the hair out of Ymir's face, stroking her hair gently.