41. Children

AUTHOR'S POV:

Ragako village was destroyed and abandoned.

"It's like the report said..." Moblit said, looking around. "The entire village is devastated, and yet there's not a drop of blood, let alone any bodies here."

A Scout dismounted from his horse. "Then... the villagers of Ragako were able to safely evacuate?"

"If that's the case, then the Titans were having a field day in a completely empty village." Moblit said. "That's hard to believe. Furthermore..." He walked to the stable full of horses. "Why would they evacuate without even taking a single horse?"

"Then what happened? What could this mean?" A scout asked.

Another Scout ran up to them. "Moblit, I found one! This way!"

Moblit and the Scouts followed the man to Connie's house.

"There you are..."
.

A crippled Titan lay on its back, ribs showing and its pelvis and legs almost skeletal.
.

"Moblit, look at this." A Scout said and handed him a drawing.

"This is a portrait of Connie Springer's parents?" Moblit said, studying the drawing.

"It's a strong possibility." A scout said.

The Titan titled its head, its body trembling as it attempted to move.

"Kill it!" The soldier said and readied his swords.

"Wait!" Moblit said and blocked him. "Hold up!"

The Titan failed to sit up.

Moblit picked up the upside-down portrait. "Unbelievable..." 'If what Dr. Kruger says is true, that means...'
.
.

"Will it be your petty life... or Christa's future?" Reiner asked Ymir.

Ymir scowled at him.

"It's up to you to decide." Reiner said.

"Hey, say something!" Eren said angrily. "Who's the enemy?! Ymir!"

"Who knows?" Ymir finally replied cooly.

"It's settled then. Too bad, Eren." Reiner said as Bertolt joined him.

He turned his head when he heard the noise.
.

Four green flares were rising to the sky in the distance.
.

"You're kidding..." Reiner trailed off.

'The Scouts... are already...' Bertolt stared in disbelief.

"Dammit!" Reiner cursed.

"Reiner, what are you right now?" Bertolt asked, grabbing his shoulder.

Reiner removed his hand. "Relax, I'm a Warrior."
.
.

"You're saying to trust Ymir as a Warrior?" Bertolt asked. "Isn't she the one who ate Marcel?"

"Yeah, that's my point." Reiner said, watching Ymir who was almost fully healed. "Ymir's motive is clear. Once she turned human again, she probably roamed around and lived only caring about herself. Until she met Christa... And as cute as Christa is, we have other reasons to bring her to our side. She's an important person in a family of the Church of the Walls. If Eren turns out not to be the Coordinate, our job isn't over yet. Having Christa with us at that point will make our search much easier."

There was another cracking sound and Reiner and Bertolt glanced at the three red flares and a green one.
.

'So, Christa has something special in her.' Eren thought. 'And, these guys are definitely after this Founding Titan, which I assume, is within me.'
.