29. Smile

AUTHOR'S POV:

.
.
.

In a forest, there were several freestanding punching bags, dirtied and gray.

"Keep it up, Annie!" Mr. Leonhart said.

Annie kicked the punching bags, arms up in a guard position.

"That's my daughter!" Mr. Leonhart complemented.

Annie stopped, breathing deeply.

"What are you doing?" Mr. Leonhart asked firmly. "Don't stop!"
.
.
.

Annie woke up slowly with that dream. Birds were chirping outside the window.
.
.

In Wall Sina, people were talking about Eren.

"Huh? Didn't you hear?" A man said. "The Titan boy and his companions were summoned by the king."
.

In Stohess district, the same topic was on discussion among the crowd.
.

"They'll be passing through the city today." A brown-haired man said.

"I see." A man with the glasses replied. "He's gonna wind up getting dissected for sure this time."
.

Two other men stood a small distance away and a third was holding a newspaper behind them, eavesdropping.

"Either way." The first man said. "I just hope things work out so they'll seal the gates."

A man nearby was shaking as he overhead them. The bag in his hand dropped to the ground. "What?" The man walked toward them, disbelieving, wearing a golden accessory around his neck. "Did you just say seal the gates?" He grabbed the first man from his shoulder. "Do you want to further defile our goddesses with lowly human meddling?!"

The brown-haired man gasped, noticing the thick, golden band necklace with the outline of three women that the fanatic wore.

"Maria! Rose! Sina! How dare you even suggest desecrating our three sacred goddesses?!" The fanatic said, raising his arms up, a crazed look on his face.

A group of four had surrounded him, listening reverently.

"He's one of those crazies who worship the Walls as gods." The man with glasses said and put his hand on his friend's shoulder. "Just ignore him."

"I see." His friends replied, turning away. "Those freaks still exist..."

"It's the Walls!" The fanatic continued to screech. "The Walls and nothing else are our protectors.

"Damn." The brown-haired man cursed, walking away.
.
.

In the Military Police Brigade Branch Office, Annie arrived.

Other MP recruits including were standing against the wall in silence, arms behind their backs.

"You're finally up." Hitch said. "You looked so scary in your sleep nobody dared to wake you up. Sorry, Annie."

Marlo stood to Hitch's right, speaking without looking at them. "You've been slacking off a lot recently."

Annie stood silent, not looking like she was paying any attention.

"What? Are you mad?" Hitch asked. "How are we supposed to get along?"

"Leave her be." Boris spoke up from Marlo's right.

Annie took her position beside Hitch.

"She's from Trost, remember? She's the only person in this branch with any actual combat experience." Boris said. "Of course she can't smile cheerfully when she's just returned from hell."