39. The Hunters

AUTHOR'S POV:

The force of the landing sent out a large shockwave of air, steam, and small rocks.
.

Trees whipped around like leaves in the wind and soldiers, including Hange and her squad, were forced up and off the Wall.
.

Sasha quickly jumped down to shield Armin with her body.
.

Knees bent, Mikasa struggled against the force.

She was about to knock off the tree but, Faye's eyes glowed and she dig her nails into the tree and held onto Mikasa, shielding her.

"Hold... tight!" Faye said and brought Mikasa closer to her chest in order to protect her from the hot steam.
.

Up on Wall Rose, Hannes, Christa, Marco and the others lay on the ground, bracing themselves, holding the edge of the Wall.
.

Inside the steam, the Armored Titan roared as he shoved the Attacking Titan's head being deeper into the dirt to expose his nape.
.

Armin struggled to look.
.

The Armored Titan took a bite and snapped his head back, blood covering his mouth.
.

Armin gasped.
.

The steam finally began to clear.

The Colossal Titan lay, maw gaping, eyes dark, steaming thickly.

Bertolt walked over the decaying corpse's shoulder, 3D gear strapped to his waist and carrying an unconscious Ymir.

The Armored Titan ran by the Colossal's body and Bertolt used the 3D gear to reach him, crouching on the junction between his shoulder and his neck.
.

"Eren!" Armin screamed, watching as the Armored Titan ran further and further away.
.
.

In Throst district, Titans approached the massive rock covering the hole in the Wall.
.

Sitting on the wall, Pixis was sleeping, arms crossed and head down.

Several bottles and an empty crate were next to him as he dozed.

"Commander." Anka said, walking up to him. "Wake up, Commander Pixis. You'll get sick if you fall asleep here." She slapped the back of his head. "I can't believe you drank all this." She collected the empty bottles as he rubbed his head. "You're not young anymore. And I'd rather not spend my days changing your diapers."

"Being cared for by a pretty lady sounds all right to me." Pixis quipped, opening a bottle. "So? What's the situation?"

Anka snatched the bottle out his hands. "Patrols were sent out once the Titans were gone from the 1st and 2nd defensive lines, but any Titan sightings are few and far between."

"Hmm..." Pixis said and pulled out a watch from his jacket's inner pocket. "If Hannes and the advance squad followed the Wall without problem, they'll be returning any minute now. It would mean they met the unit from Krolva District and turned around halfway. And they couldn't have encountered many Titans, if any. If there was a hole in the Wall, it would never work out like that."

Behind them, Erwin arrived. "Commander Pixis."

"Hmm?" Pixis said, turning to see Erwin join him. "Oh. If it isn't Erwin. I hear you've failed to captured one of those troublesome mice." He stood, placing a hand on Erwin's shoulder.

"Yes. Unfortunately, that mice got eaten last moment." Erwin said.

"Hmm," Pixis said. "But at least it will get those goons in the interior thinking. Maybe they'll reconsider how important their stale beliefs and motives are to them."