50. Attacking Titan

AUTHOR'S POV:

.
.
.

A man in a blue uniform screamed as the Attack Titan lifted him up.

The Attacking Titan squeezed the soldier into a bloody pulp.
.

'The soldiers had their lives squeezed out of them like fruit being juice and their scraps cast into the water.'
.

On his knee on one of the wharves, the Attack Titan tossed the remains behind him.
.

Grisha stood atop the wall, hands still tied behind his back.
.

'I suppose I should explain what the ocean is.'
.

The sun was setting over the horizon as Grisha continued to stare at the Attack Titan.
.

'The ocean a body of saltwater that covers 70% of our world's surface.'
.

.
.

The Attack Titan's abandoned body steamed near the wall.
.

Seagulls screeched as they flew through the air over the decaying corpse.
.

Kruger cut Grisha's binds with his knife.

Then, he pulled out a handkerchief and wiped off the blood leaking from his nose.

Grisha turned to him. "Owl, just who are you?"

Kruger lowered the handkerchief. "I am Eren Kruger. As you just saw, I possess one of the Nine Titans. In other words, I'm a Subject of Ymir, just like you."

"You pretended to be a Marleyan and infiltrated Public Security?" Grisha asked, surprised. "How did you pass the blood tests?!"

"That was easy enough with the help of a doctor. Doctors make good spies." Kruger replied. "In all honesty, you did very well. But, in terms of results, Grice had every right to grieve like he did."

Grisha bowed his head. "You're absolutely right. I was a useless father, a useless husband, and a useless man."
.

A few gray clouds floated near the setting sun on the seemingly endless horizon.
.

"And yet..." Grisha said, looking at his bandaged hand. "Why am I the only one who remains as a human? Dina was someone special, being a Subject of Ymir with royal blood." He looked at Kruger. "She would have brought out the true power of the Titans if you hadn't covered up her lineage. Dina was..." He grabbed Kruger's collar. "Answer me! Why did you let only me live?!" Blood seeped into most of his bandages.

"Enough. Don't your fingers hurt?" Kruger asked.

Grisha smiled ironically at him. "Thanks so much for your concern! You didn't seem to care so much when you were chopping them off! Well?! Why didn't you transform a few minutes earlier and save everyone else from becoming Titans? Why did you stand there and allow it to happen?"

Kruger fell to his one knee, breathing roughly.

Grisha kneeled before him. "What's wrong? Why did you suddenly go pale?"

"It wasn't just them. I've severed thousands of fingers from Subjects of Ymir and made them into Titans." Kruger said, looking down in guilt. "Women and children, too." He looked up at Grisha. "All while believing it was for the sake of Eldia."

Grisha listened in a daze.

Kruger wiped the blood from his nose. "I don't have much time, Grisha. I'm entrusting you with the final task. Not anyone else. Only you."