12. First Battle

AUTHOR'S POV:

The Colossal Titan used his massive left arm to scrape the top part of the Wall.
.

'He went for the cannons!' Eren thought. 'He didn't take out the gate by accident then, either! He does have intelligence!'

The Colossal turned toward him. Then it reached out for Eren.

'Too slow. Still, this is the perfect chance!' Eren swung around and landed on the large arm. 'It's the only one who can destroy the Wall! If I can just take him out!' He began running up the arm.

The Colossal Titan his shoulder, causing Eren to lose his balance.

With a quick maneuver, he tried to go for the nape.

'Got you!' Eren dove for the kill.

A cloud of steam burst out before he could slice the skin.

'It burns!' Eren held on. He let out a battle cry and pushed forward, swinging his swords.

They cut through steam, revealing nothing.

'I missed?' Eren began to fall and shot a hook into the Wall. 'No, the Colossal Titan disappeared!'

"Eren!" Thomas called out, looking down at Eren. "Did you beat it?"

"No! It's just like five years ago!" Eren replied, looking down. "He disappeared just as suddenly as he appeared!" He went back on the Wall and walked toward his comrades with slumped shoulders. "I'm sorry. I let him get away."

"What are you apologizing for? We were so scared-" Thomas said.

"Hey!" Connie said. "There's no time for that! The Wall's been broken! We have to hurry and seal it before the Titans get in again!"

"What are you doing?!" A Garrison soldier said, landing before them.

They saluted him.

"The Colossal Titan Response Operation is already underway!" The Garrison soilder said. "Return to HQ at once! Anyone who's come into contact with it, remember to give a report!"

"Yes, sir!" Eren replied.

"We pray for the advance team's success!" Connie said.
.
.

A bell rang, signaling the danger.

People panicked, flooding the streets, rushing away from the oncoming danger.
.

A little girl being carried over her father's shoulder dropped her doll.

She watched with tearful eyes as it was stomped on by the crowd.
.
.

At the HQ, a Garrison soldier was giving orders.

"You trainees have successfully graduated! You are now proper soldiers! I have high hopes for you in this operation!"
.

The soilders were now preparing their equipments.

Some were freaking out when some kept their calm.
.

"Don't worry, Hannah. I promise I'll keep you safe." Franz said and hugged her.

"Franz..." Hannah said and hugged him back.
.

Mikasa ran by, looking around with Faye following her behind.
.

"Are you okay, Armin?" Eren said, kneeling beside him.

Armin's hands were shaking badly as he tried to fill up his canister from the gas pipes attached to the wall. "I-I'm fine! I'll calm down soon enough. Still, this is bad!"
.