Prologue

What started out as a night of reunion and fun changed everything for Rhaenyra Targaryen, and the future of her entire house

What started out as a night of reunion and fun changed everything for Rhaenyra Targaryen, and the future of her entire house. While she had followed Daemon's map and snuck out of the castle for a small taste of freedom, she hadn't imagined where the evening would end, nor that Otto's spies would follow her all the way to the brothel with her uncle.

Afterward, she lied to everyone when she was forced to recount the events of the evening in King's Landing, Alicent, Viserys, even herself... The humiliation was too much for her to take. After the King dismissed Ser Otto from his service, his daughter did her duty and married Ser Laenor Velaryon, as commanded. The wedding banquet ended in bloodshed and, only minutes later, hasty vows were exchanged. The feasting and tourneys that had been planned were forgotten; the memory of the celebrations was forever marred by Joffrey's brutal murder.

After an initial period of mourning, Laenor had been a fine husband in the beginning, as attentive as he could be, given the circumstances. Only eight months after the wedding; in the early hours of a cold, grey morning, little baby Visaera Velaryon was birthed into the world. The labor was long and the entirety of the keep seemed to hold their breath, waiting for the formal announcement. The silver-haired, cherub-faced babe never cried, not once, even as she was passed about from one person's grasp to the next. Viserys cooed down at the infant in his arms, prattling on about what a perfect little lady she would become.

Despite providing an heir, as the realm had always expected, the rumors flew; spoken in hushed whispers in the safety of private quarters. "Far too early," the voices said, "It's not possible," they murmured, "Prince Daemon—" and, when complete secrecy was assured, the word "bastard" was uttered.

While the Queen watched with sharp eyes and a sharper tongue, Rhaenyra, her husband, and her father, all ignored the rumors. After all, Visaera was the perfect image of Valyrian blood; the rumors could never be proven. The girl's birth overshadowed Aemond's; even two moons later, only adding to the Queen's bitterness toward Rhaenyra and her children.

When Jacaerys followed, just a year later, the whispers continued. Why did the boy look nothing like his older sister; his features much darker than the princess'? Visaera had silver tresses and lavender eyes, so how could Jace have plain brown orbs and dark, locks? To anyone with eyes, the puzzle pieces just didn't fit together. Then came Luke, two years after, looking as unremarkable as his older brother. At four years old, Visaera began to wonder if she had been some kind of fluke.

The little princess had her first vision at only five years old. She wasn't unfamiliar with the prospect; her aunt, Helaena, had been babbling unexplainable things for as long as she could remember. But her own experience came in the form of a horrible nightmare. In the dream, there was a mountain covered in fire; ash and smoke filled her lungs as the world around her burned down to cinder and melted stone. Screams of agony filled her ears and Visaera woke in tears. She didn't babble, as Helaena did, she merely cried silently in her mother's arms. It took hours for Rhaenyra to console her and even longer for Visaera to settle back to sleep. After every vision, she fell into fits of melancholy; while Rhaenyra and Laenor never knew the exact reason for the change in her, they both tried their best to navigate around it and comfort her when they could.

The silver egg that Viserys commanded be placed in her cradle never hatched. While the king and his daughter felt disappointed by the fact, Alicent watched on with smug satisfaction. It serves Rhaenyra right... she thought. Indiscretion should not earn reward... Her vindication didn't last long. Perhaps if Visaera had a dragon to bond with, she might have put her focus into something constructive. Instead, she fell into the habit of sneaking about and causing mayhem; avoiding her lessons as much as possible.

Even Rhaenyra couldn't deny that, as she grew, Visaera reminded her of Daemon; restless and rebellious. The little princess seemed to have a natural penchant for trouble and her uncle, Aegon, only encouraged the behavior, to Alicent's dismay. As soon as she was able to walk, Visaera began following the prince about, and she never ceased. The only place she refused to follow him was to the dragonpit; when the boys headed there, she joined Helaena. Even then, the lessons in language and embroidery and dancing never held her interest for long.

When Visaera was seven, and Aegon ten, he called her a "horse face" at supper. As revenge for his insult, the princess enlisted Aemond's help in stuffing his mattress with horse dung. Queen Allicent had been furious and, in response, her parents had been cross for days. Aegon quickly repaid her for her little prank; adding mulberry juice to the oil she used in her hair. Her fingers were stained for days; her tresses for nearly a fortnight. With seven dragon-blooded children running about the keep, there was rarely a dull moment for the Velaryon/Targaryen family.