Homecoming

"You look like you're about to vomit," came Aemond's greeting as she stumbled off the ship and down the dock. She snorted indelicately, not bothering to look at him. The voyage hadn't been rough but it still made her seasick.

"I already did," she muttered, taking in the sight of the Ser Criston and Ser Arryk waiting at the end of the dock. She paused and finally looked warily at Aemond. "For the love of the gods, do I need a full escort? Do they think I'm going to murder you or something?" she asked with a sneer.

"I think they're to make sure you don't try to run..." he answered in an amused tone. She scoffed and shook her head. "Why did you leave?" he asked as they made their way back up to the keep. She merely shook her head.

"There's no point in talking about it now..." she answered miserably, pushing past him and climbing the stairs on her own.

While Aemond was curious about what had made her flee the keep in such a rush, at that moment, he was more preoccupied with watching her ascend the steps in her leather trousers. Gods, she really was a beautiful creature...

"My mother and grandfather are in the throne room," Aemond offered when they finally entered the Red Keep. With no other choice, Visaera merely sighed and followed her uncle.

"Well, you've made quite a mess, it seems, Visaera," Otto offered as they stepped into the hall.

"Family trait, it seems," the Queen sneered. Biting her tongue and clenching her fists, Visaera forced herself to remain silent. After her mother's lecture, the last thing she wanted to do was add to the animosity the Queen felt toward her.

"I'm sorry, I just..." she took a deep breath and then lied through her teeth, "I missed my family. It's not as though I have a dragon to just fly off and visit them for an afternoon and come back."

"You should have asked for permission," Alicent snapped. Her fingers began to pick at her cuticles as she fought the urge to sneer at the Queen. Otto and his daughter took turns lecturing her and she listened to it all with as much grace as she could muster. By the time they dismissed her, she left the throne room with bloody cuticles and a raw bottom lip.

"Visaera," Aegon breathed her name like a prayer and then hoisted her up in his arms, spinning her around. From the corner of her eye, Visaera caught sight of the sneer on Aemond's face, suddenly reminding her of that day on Driftmark, when Aegon had kissed her in front of him.

"Aegon," she warned in a whisper, pushing against his chest, "People will—"

"Fuck people," he growled in her ear, refusing to release his hold on her. "You left me, again. Why did you leave me?" he asked, tightening his grip. The despair in his voice made her heart skip a beat and her own hold on him tightened.

"I'm sorry, I can't really explain. I just... I had to go home," she offered lamely.

"But you're here now," he said, easing his grip and rubbing circles on the back of her hand; frowning when he caught sight of her worried cuticles.

"Yes," she assured him, "Yes, I'm here..." With her reassurance, Aegon released her completely.  Guilt was flooding her insides, threatening to overflow, and only growing stronger as her handmaiden finally descended the stairs and pulled her into her arms.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Visaera breathed, clinging to Alarya. "I panicked."

"I'm just glad to see you're safe," she replied, squeezing the princess. "I love you Visaera, like my own sister. I don't know what I would do if something bad had happened to you..."

"Princess," Ser Jaunton greeted with a wry smile, "Back so soon?"

"I seem to have overestimated my parent's sympathies," she retorted. His smile widened and he shook his head at her.