Interlude

For the next two days, Visaera did her very best to avoid both of the princes. Aegon's words lingered in her head and she wondered if it was high time she forgave him for his past transgressions and let them start fresh.

As they did so often when they were children, Helaena and Visaera sat together, sometimes working on their embroidery, other times, talking quietly. Helaena's visions had always taken a toll on her, but the last one she had experienced seemed to have shaken her to her core. Having someone who could sympathize seemed to lift her spirits, so Visaera remained at her side as much as she could.

As she left her aunt to dress for dinner, she caught sight of Aemond, leaning against the wall, his head buried in a book.

"Are you actually reading, or just trying to make it seem like you are?" she asked dryly. He lowered the tome and raised an eyebrow at her, not bothering to actually answer her question.

"Come for a walk with me." he offered, instead. She glanced around, considering that they were alone, and then swallowed.

"Your mother said—"

"Yes, I know. We're just walking, Visaera, very publicly..."

"Alright," she relented, "but only for a short time. I have to get ready for supper soon." When he closed the book, she reached out, expecting Aemond to offer his arm, instead, he gripped her hand. His touch was warm as he knitted his fingers through hers. Why did every innocent touch from Aemond make her stomach twist?

Perhaps it was the fact that he was so polite and well-composed that any sort of affection seemed out of character for him. He dropped the book on one of the stone benches they passed and the pair continued on in silence.

It wasn't an uncomfortable silence, Visaera found she quite enjoyed Aemond's quiet presence. It was a stark contrast to his brother's; Aegon always seemed to find something to say, usually the wrong thing.

Only when they made it out to the garden did he slow to a stroll; his thumb slowly began stroking the back of her hand. The action sent shivers through her, reminding her of the night she'd begged for him to touch her. Heat rose in her face at the memory and, when he glanced over at her, Aemond smirked, conveying that he was thinking of the same thing.

Rays of pink and scarlet danced across the sky, but the air still felt ridiculously hot. Already, Visaera could feel her skin growing damp with sweat from their short walk. She was thankful for the thin material of her dress but, as she glanced down, she realized just how thin her dress really was.

Aemond's gaze followed and when she met his eye, he had the decency to blush. He had seemed so sure of himself that night, then again, she had been incredibly drunk, that seeing him flush surprised her. It was thrilling to know that she had the power to unnerve him. He averted his eyes and cleared his throat, busying himself with finding them somewhere to sit.

"How are you feeling?" he finally asked, gesturing to the nearby stone bench.

"Strange," she answered honestly, taking a seat and glancing up at him. He was appraising her with a curious eye. "It's strange to be here without my family. Not to mention, it seems your mother is determined to hate me..."

"My mother doesn't hate you," he replied softly.

"No?" she asked. "You sound quite sure of that, but every interaction I've had with her seems to prove otherwise."

"I assure you, Visaera, she does not hate you. She's... wary..."

"Wary of me?" Visaera nearly laughed. "Why would she be wary of me?" At that, he shrugged.

"Our mothers were once friends. I'm not sure what happened between them, but clearly, there was some kind of betrayal."

"I always thought that was your mother marrying the King," Visaera answered idly. The prince seemed to consider her statement for a moment, looking pensive.