Sequestered

Visaera could hear Aemond pacing back and forth across the room long before she opened her eyes. She didn't need to ask to know it had been days since Daeron attacked her, since she plunged Aemond's dagger into his neck. The entire thing felt surreal, like a nightmare that couldn't possibly have happened, and yet it had, she knew for certain it had because the image haunted her.

"I suppose we both truly have lost a brother, now..." she said softly. The prince paused in his pacing and stared at her incredulously as she sat up against the pillows.

"Sometimes, I swear, you're just looking for ways to make my life a fucking nightmare, Vis... Do you have any idea what the last few days have been like?" he asked her.

"No, I don't. I believe I was rather busy recovering from almost dying..." she replied dryly. "Why did no one tell me Daeron was alive after I attacked Old Town?" she added. "The guilt I carried—"

"Was well deserved," Aemond answered with a sharp look. Visaera sighed and rubbed her aching scalp. She could feel small patches where her hair had been ripped out by Daeron during their struggle.

"Fair enough." Visaera relented, clamping her mouth shut. A long, uncomfortable silence followed until Aemond sat down on the edge of the bed. "These aren't your quarters, nor mine..." she observed.

"No," he answered, "It's safer to keep you far away from my mother. She's been screaming and sobbing for three days." Visaera opened her mouth to defend herself but Aemond shook his head. "I know Daeron attacked you, Vis. Some of your burns have yet to heal, I don't imagine you engaging with him unless he gave you no choice." The prince reached out and stroked the side of her face.

"I gave him a chance, Aemond," she whispered, her voice trembling at the memory, "I told him I didn't want to kill him." She slapped her hand over her mouth, covering a gasp, as she remembered everything that Daeron had told her. "He had help, Aemond..." The look in the prince's eye sharpened and he leaned toward her.

"Tell me everything..." She recounted as many details as she could, of how Daeron said Otto had given Larys the command to poison her, how the corridors were void of guards, how she tried to run to his chambers in the hopes that he would be there. "It is a strange coincidence that the small council was called at the same time Daeron attacked you." Aemond offered. "We thought that, perhaps, Grandfather had important news to share, but the council just prattled on about the same damn nuances they always do."

"You don't think Aegon—" The mere thought made her want to die right then and there.

"No, no," he interjected, placing his hand over hers reassuringly. "Aegon would never." But Visaera remembered the way he had looked at her that night in his chambers... Her lip quivered as the thought lingered in her mind.

"I'm tired, Aemond..." she breathed, leaning back against the pillows. "I'm so tired..." Daeron's words haunted her; every choice she made for the last year haunted her. Perhaps it was the milk of the poppy, or the aching of her wounds, or the look on Aemond's face as he regarded her, but suddenly she wondered if she should have just let Daeron kill her. Was fighting for her life just another one of her many mistakes? Perhaps they were all better off without her...

There was a soft knock at the door and then it cracked open and Helaena peaked into the room.

"Hel..." Visaera breathed, straining to push herself up on the bed.

"Don't trouble yourself, Vis," Helaena said softly. Her aunt leaned over and whispered in Aemond's ear. Visaera watched as his eye widened and he nodded at his sister. Helaena patted her niece on the hand and then left the room in a hurry.

"I have to go but I will be back, Visaera. Do not leave this room, under any circumstances." The princess nodded, not having any choice in the matter. Left alone with her thoughts, Visaera broke down. What started as a few tears turned into choking sobs as she grieved for her family and for the girl inside her that she had lost.