Red Dawn

For days, all Visaera saw were the walls of that room, and they began to close in around her, suffocating her. When she felt well enough, she forced herself up out of the bed and stood at the window, the pleasant weather mocking her with cloudless skies and birdsong.

The princess wasn't sure if Aemond had spoken to his brother about her plan; if he had, he never told her. Helaena visited her twice, but a distance had grown between them since Daeron's death, as well. Her aunt had been rambling on about her mother and news of Rhaenyra and the thought that Daemon might attack. Visaera hoped it wouldn't come to that, but her father was ruthless when he wanted to be. She wasn't sure she could trust either of her parents to honor a truce with the greens. She wasn't sure she could trust anyone anymore...

Visaera wasn't sure if it had been days or weeks since her request was made to Aemond, but she lay tossing and turning beneath the sheets, struggling to relax. A stream of doubt and horrid thoughts flowed through her mind and she found herself slowly pacing in the dark; gnawing at her cuticles.

They're going to kill me. That's why Aegon and Aemond won't visit me... Mother is going to attack King's Landing and they're going to kill me. Aegon is the King... He had the corridors cleared of Kingsguard. He wants me dead... Aemond will never stand up for me, not against his family...

On and on, the horrid thoughts flowed as she chewed her fingers bloody, trying to find a solution that the Greens might agree to let her take to her mother. When she ran out of skin around her nails, she began to pick and the ends of her hair, muttering to herself. Alicent's cries from the previous afternoon echoed in her mind and she glanced at the door, terrified that the Dowager Queen would storm in at any given moment, knife in hand. She remembered how easily Alicent had wielded the king's blade on Driftmark.

Terror coursed through her when the door finally did open and she scrambled back across the room.

"You're awake..." Aegon sounded shocked to find her standing in the middle of the chambers during the hour of the wolf.

"Yes," she breathed, staring at him wide-eyed, wondering what in the seven hells he was doing there. Was he planning to end her life while she was asleep? The thought horrified her and she began to tremble, backing away until she hit the stone wall behind her. Aegon merely stared at her in silence, an odd look on his face.

When he stepped toward her and she let out a strangled sob, pressing herself to the wall, and squeezing her eyes shut. Her uncle paused, a look of resignation written in his expression. Without another word, he shook his head and backed out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

With her arms wrapped around her chest, Visaera sank to the ground, a whimper of relief falling from her lips. The sudden appearance of Aegon reminded her that no matter how many times Aemond assured her he could protect her, she would never be safe... She was huddled on the floor, rocking herself back and forth when the door opened a second time.

"Vis?" The sounds of Aemond's voice should have given her comfort, but she realized she couldn't trust him either. She couldn't trust anybody; not even herself. "Visaera?" Aemond spotted her on the floor and hurried toward her and she panicked and scrambled into the corner, trying to get away from him. Feeling like a caged animal, her eyes darted around the room, settling on the open door behind him. Freedom...

"Visaera, calm down, darling..." he murmured, taking another step toward her. Suddenly, his calm demeanor reminded her of his little brother. With a terrified shriek, she darted across the room for the door, Aemond breathing out a soft "Fuck," behind her.

The prince caught her around the waist, just outside the door and Visaera let out a scream as she battled against him.

"Visaera, stop it! It's just me. I'm not going to hurt you!" Tears were streaming down her face and her lungs were closing as she fought to get away from him, knowing he could kill her at any given moment. "Visaera, please stop!" he pleaded exasperatedly. Her eyes caught sight of a flash of silver and she focused on it, her sight settling on Aegon at the end of the corridor, watching the altercation with wide eyes.