The Queen That Never Was

Visaera paced back and forth in front of the windows of Aegon's rooms, stopping every so often to peer up into the bright, blue sky. The beautiful summer weather mocked her and the anxiety that was coursing through her. It was nearly midday and there was still no sight of dragons in the sky.

It was as if the Gods themselves wanted her to suffer, for a bird drifted overhead, making her heart pound for a brief moment, only to be followed by the sickening feel of disappointment.

Rooks Rest was a mere few hours from the capital on dragon back and Visaera had expected them at any moment, yet still, there was no sign of them. Before, she thought waiting on the precipice of war was maddening, but waiting inside the keep and holding her breath in anticipation felt far worse.

When she could bear the suffocating feeling of the room no longer, Visaera ventured through the keep and out into the gardens. The bees were buzzing and the birds were singing in the trees, but Visaera felt like screaming her lungs out in frustration, her concern mounting with every passing moment. More than anything, she hated how helpless she was feeling, wishing she could have gone with her uncles to meet her mother.

Suddenly, a roar echoed through the sky and Visaera held her hand up to shade her eyes from the sun. Vhagar swooped down over the city first, casting a large shadow over King's Landing as she descended toward the Dragonpit. Sunfyre followed shortly behind, the sight of both dragons filled her with relief and she nearly sobbed. Visaera could hear the rumbling echo as the dragons landed just outside of the pit and then Visaera was running through the grounds, tears of alleviation streaming down her face.

They're here. Everything is going to be alright... By the time she reached the yard, Visaera's legs were burning from sprinting across the gardens. The knight at the gate refused to let Visaera through and she nearly launched herself at him when he implied that she was considered a prisoner in her own home. She waited, anxiously chewing at her nails until she finally spotted a flash of silver hair coming up the road.

Something was wrong, terribly wrong... Aemond and Aegon were on the same mare and the elder prince was sagged against his brother, looking a mere moment from falling unconscious. Oh, gods... Aegon...

The moment they entered the yard, Visaera was holding her breath, catching the reigns of the horse and craning her head up to look at them. Both men were covered in soot and dirt, but Aegon was the one groaning in pain and Visaera reached for him, attempting to help him dismount. His entire sleeve had been burned away and his skin had been completely melted off, leaving raw, weeping wounds open to the elements. Visaera's stomach turned at the sight and she bit down on her fist to keep from crying out. How had he managed to fly back to King's Landing in such a condition?

"Move, princess, please," Ser Criston commanded, appearing out of nowhere and gently pushing her out of the way. He was pulling Aegon down from the saddle and then the prince was screaming in pain. The sound echoed in her head, just as it had the night before. The sound knocked the air from Visaera's lungs and her legs gave out, ruining the bottom of her dress as she fell into the damp dirt.

"Aegon, Aegon, I'm right here!" she called, even as he was hauled across the yard by a flurry of guards. Visaera was left behind in the dirt, wringing her hands together as the false King was hauled into the keep. Aemond approached her slowly, as if she was a wounded animal that he was afraid would lash out in self-defense.

"Visaera..." he breathed softly, her name sounding more like a question as it fell from his lips.

"What happened?" she screamed, shoving herself off the ground and rounding on the prince. "You were supposed to be coming to an agreement! What the fuck happened?" She shoved against his chest, only moments from losing her sanity, unable to comprehend how their plan could have gone so horribly wrong. What happened to Aegon? What happened to her mother? The mere idea of it all made her ill.