Visenya Targaryen

The winds were favorable and the waves were calm, but Visaera was ill the entire voyage to Dragonstone. It wasn't greensickness that had her repeatedly vomiting, it was the memory of the coronation, the look in Aegon's eyes, and the sad acceptance in Helaena's voice.

The Hightowers had betrayed her mother and Aegon had been crowned in front of the people. The look that burned in Aegon's eyes as she abandoned them lingered in her mind above all else. By fleeing, she had betrayed him; by staying, she would have betrayed her mother. She had been caught in the middle of her family with no way to keep the peace. As they neared the island, a familiar hum settled in her ears and the smell of sulfur and brimstone filled her nose.

Visaera didn't wait. Before they were tied to the dock, she was throwing herself from the ship and sprinting down the beach. Her legs ached and her feet were sore, but she didn't stop until she reached the gates of the castle.

"Princess," The guards were clearly confused by her presence and alarmed by the state of her. Without prompt, they allowed her through the gates, and then she was sprinting up the serpentine staircase. Each step closer to her mother filled her with a sense of relief and her efforts doubled, despite the pain in her lungs.

Daemon met her at the great dragon mouth entrance and she threw herself into his arms, sobbing as he squeezed her to him. Rocking back and forth, he held her until the tears subsided, pushing his fingers into her hair and kissing her forehead.

"I was so worried..." he whispered. "I thought I would have to come for you, but you made it all on your own."

"Otto and Alicent—" He shushed her.

"We know," he informed her, "Rhaenys arrived hours ago." When he released her, she looked up into his eyes and smiled, but he did not return the look.

"There's more..." she breathed. "What is it?"

"The babe is coming," he answered grimly. No... No, it wasn't possible... It wasn't time... Rhaenyra had nearly four moons to go until the babe was ready to come.

"No, no it's not time," she insisted.

"The news of her father's death and the Hightower's treachery was too much for your mother. Her labors began almost immediately." Daemon informed her, as though he were merely reporting news about someone he didn't know. Visaera looked into his eyes; they looked vacant, distant, detached. Knowing that he lost Laena during her labors, she didn't imagine he would be of much use now.

With a horrified cry, she shoved past him, running through the castle until she skidded to a halt outside her mother's chambers. Even from the hall, she could hear Rhaenyra groaning in pain. Bursting through the doors, she flung the slippers from her feet and fell to her knees beside her mother.

"I'm here, I'm here, mother," she assured, immediately catching Rhaenyra's hand and letting her squeeze it painfully. A shudder passed through Rhaenyra and she groaned again, clutching to her stomach. "It's not time yet, this shouldn't be happening," Visaera murmured.

"And yet it is fucking happening," her mother hissed through gritted teeth. Visaera clenched her jaw and nodded, knowing full well that her mother's anger was not toward her, only the situation.

"Just keep breathing," Visaera replied, "We've done this before." She had pulled both of the twins from her mother and she would do the same with this child.

"No, no," Rhaenyra cried, attempting to push her daughter away, screaming as a contraction ripped through her.  Visaera held fast, breathing through her nose as Rhaenyra crushed her hand with her grip. "I'm here, mother, let me help you,"

"Get away, get away!" Rhaenyra cried, falling forward on the floor.

"I will not," Visaera gritted out, gripping her shoulders. "Look at me!" When her mother's violet, fearful eyes met hers, Visaera held her gaze. "You are a dragon, mother. Come on. We have done this before..." With a hard swallow and a nod, Rhaenyra leaned forward on her knees, screaming once more as pain tore through her middle.