Epilogue IV

Warning for the chapter, this entire thing revolves and describes childbirth.

Visaera was on her knees beside the bed, her sweaty forehead pressed against the mattress. For hours, her labors had been at a standstill and the babes would not come. Already, Visaera was considering the alternative that she had given Gerardys days ago, making him promise he would save the children if it came to that.

"Grand Maester, you remember what we spoke about?" she asked, panting. Gerardys gave her a solemn nod.

"There's still time, yet, Princess," he assured her.

"It won't come to that, my love," the Queen agreed, pushing her sweaty curls off her forehead.

Outside, the corridor was filled, the entirety of the family waiting impatiently for news. Aemond and Aegon had begged to be in the room, but the Queen had rebuffed their request, stating they would only be a distraction to Visaera.

"Alright, princess, let us try again..." a Gerardys offered as the midwife hurried forward to assist.

"Push, my love!" Rhaenyra encouraged. Biting down on the mattress, Visaera inhaled and bore down with all her strength, letting out a sob as nothing happened.

"Fuck, fuck! I can't!" she cried, her head falling forward in defeat. Her breaths her worming in painful gasps and Visaera was forced to squeeze her eyes closed as her head spun. "Fuck! I can't do it!" she screamed, clenching her fists and balling up the sheets in her hand.

Her voice could be heard from the corridor and Aemond shared a worried look with his brother. At the same time, they both nodded at one another, no longer caring what Gerardys or Rhaenyra had to say on the matter.

"Move, your grace," Aemond commanded with an authoritative tone that made his mother-in-law raise an eyebrow. As Rhaenyra stepped back into the corner of the room, Aegon scrambled across the bed, falling on his stomach and coming face to face with the princess.

"Visaera," he breathed, reaching to cup her face, forcing her to look at him. "We're here baby." A breath of relief fell from her lips as she pressed her forehead against his. Aemond had been in the room during Alicaera's birth and had read nearly a dozen books on pregnancy and labors; he was well prepared for what he might find. When he stepped into the room, he immediately took command of the situation.

"Gerardys, tell me what to do," Aemond commanded, rolling up his sleeves and washing his hands.

"I fear the babe may be facing the wrong direction," The Grand Maester admitted. "We can try to turn it, but it's a rather painful procedure..."

"I will not watch as you cut open my wife and leave her for dead, no matter what she's instructed!" Aemond snapped, kneeling beside Visaera. The Grand Maester looked briefly ashamed, but Aemond was already turning his attention elsewhere. "Visaera, my darling," he breathed, pushing her hair back off her forehead. "We're going to try to pull the babe out, alright. It's going to hurt, but when it's done, you're going to have to push." Visaera let out an acknowledgement by way of a sob and a sniffle.

"Hey, you can do this, little doe," Aegon encouraged.

"She's not a doe, brother, she's a fucking dragon," Aemond snapped, his stress turning to irritation, "Of course she can do this..."

"I'm going to shift the babe from the outside, my prince, if you can find the head..." Aemond grimaced but nodded. The thought made his stomach turn as he reached between Visaera's legs, but this wasn't about him any longer; it was about the lives of his wife and child. Swallowing his discomfort, he waited for Gerardys to nod at him.

The scream that tore from Visaera as the Grand Maester pushed on her stomach visibly affected everyone in the room. Aegon clutched her hand and let out a shaking breath of dismay and Rhaenyra squeezed the corner of the table she was leaning against.