Aftereffects

Once she was out of eyesight, Visaera ran across the grounds, hurrying into the keep and back to her rooms, where she found both her knight and her handmaiden looking worried

Visaera was aware that neither of them had seen her in hours but she didn't bother to explain herself. Alarya, never one to be deterred, immediately set to helping her dress for supper; braiding her hair back and pinning it up around her head. After spending the entire day uncomfortably hot, Visaera chose a soft, breathable dress with cape sleeves that left her arms bare.

"You look lovely, princess," Alarya assured her as her hands closed the clasp of her necklace. The tiny silver doe sat perfectly in the small space between her breasts. She didn't know why she decided to wear it, considering how angry she felt toward Aegon, but it already felt like a part of her skin and she loathed the idea of taking it off.

"Thank you, Alarya," she replied with a smile. She would have thought it impossible, but she felt more nervous attending supper that night than she had the evening before. Visaera had fled from both of the princes that day and didn't feel like facing them again so soon. Still, she always enjoyed meals with Helaena, and she didn't want the Queen to think her rude for not attending.

When she arrived, the first thing she noticed was that Alicent was not present. Silently, she took her seat beside her aunt and folded her hands in her lap.

"Your mother?" she asked Helaena.

"I believe she is supping with Lord Larys tonight," she whispered back. Visaera hummed in acknowledgment, wishing she had simply asked for supper to be sent to her rooms for the night. Instead, she had to deal with an uncomfortable meal with the Targaryen children. "Prayer?" Helaena finally offered.

Visaera folded her hands together and bowed her head as her aunt thanked the Gods for their health and their meal. When she was finished, Helaena began to help herself to the food but Visaera remained frozen, staring at her empty plate and chewing on the inside of her cheek; desperately wishing she had retired early for the night.

"Are you enjoying being back in the keep?" Helaena asked.

"I'm still adjusting," Visaera replied as she poured herself a glass of wine.

Aegon snorted and she shot him a look of annoyance before returning her attention to Helaena. The pair talked softly throughout the course of supper and, although Visaera nibbled occasionally, she didn't eat much.

By the time the meal was over, she had consumed far too much wine and felt warm and oddly detached from herself. Helaena was the first to leave the hall, bidding them all goodnight before she retired. Visaera remained in her seat, not trusting her own balance.

"Vis?"

"Hmm?" she glanced up realizing she had been asked a question.

"Can I walk you back to your rooms?" Aegon repeated. She shook her head, unwilling to put herself in the same potentially improper situation she had been earlier.