Love Letters

Aegon,

I miss you terribly. Dragonstone is interesting at times, but the castle feels cold and dreary most days. I wonder if it's the weather or merely that you're not here. Has it been only a moon since I last saw you? It feels like months. Years... The nights are the worst, for the nightmares come more often. It makes me sad to think that I don't know when I will see you again. I will be thinking about you.

                                                                                                                Yours,
                                                                                                          Visaera

The prince read the letter over and over, perched on one of the window ledges on the great staircase. The words on the parchment perfectly summarized what he had been feeling since the last time he had seen her. It was the second year of autumn but it seems the gods had decided that Visaera leaving was the perfect time to usher in the beginning of winter.

Each day seemed shorter and the weather had quickly grown cold. Aegon spent more time in his rooms, warming himself with wine in front of the hearth.

When she first heard that Visaera had written her son, the queen had a fit, yelling at Aegon that the relationship he had with his niece was inappropriate and should come to an end now that she was gone. Viserys assured her that they were children and they should be allowed to communicate as much as they desired. He reminded his wife that the princess had also written to Helaena and that she was merely overreacting.

Little Doe,

I couldn't begin to express the joy I felt when I read your letter. For a moment, it was almost as if the keep was filled with your presence again. The weather grows dismal here as well. Mother says winter will arrive in a matter of weeks. I miss you, sweet princess, like the flowers miss the sun after weeks of rain. I'm finding it hard to find things to do to fill the hole your absence has left behind. I love you, little doe. Be strong. I will be thinking about you every day until I see you again.
                                                                                                               Aegon

Visaera smiled and rolled the scroll up, tucking it into the box that she had hidden in her bureau and making her way down to breakfast. While nothing filled the void of not having her companion near, his letter had lifted her spirits. It pleased her to know that he was thinking about her, too.

"Gōntan ao ēdrū sȳrī?" Did you sleep well? Rhaenyra asked as Visaera joined them at the table. They had been practicing High Valyrian and had begun trying to converse in full sentences.

"Nyke dōrī ēdrū sȳrī." Visaera replied. I never sleep well.

"Perhaps a tea before bed at night might help?" Rhaenyra offered. Visaera shrugged as she picked over the food.

"She'd sleep fine if Aegon—" Visaera threw a grape across the table, glaring at her brother and reminding herself to never trust him with a secret ever again. In the middle of the night, after a particularly awful dream, she had climbed into his bed, desperate for the smallest bit of comfort. There, beneath the covers, she had confessed to him that she had spent many nights in Aegon's room. The fruit struck Jace on the cheek and effectively silenced his teasing. Rhaenyra's eyes narrowed at the comment as Visaera pointedly ignored her mother's gaze and returned to her food.

"Perhaps you should room with Rhaena when Baela is not here," Rhaenyra suggested.

"I would only wake her with my nightmares," Visaera answered, dropping any effort to continue in High Valyrian. "I don't understand why Baela has to spend so much time at High Tide."