Aches of the Heart

A week later, the city was swarming and visitors bustled around the Red Keep. The princess did her best to remain out of the way as preparations were made. Planning the event kept the Queen occupied and Visaera was relieved to have a reprieve from her criticism. The letter to her mother was forgotten about as Visaera spent the rest of that afternoon, and much of the week, in King's Landing, making her way through more shops than she cared to count; her goal being to find Aemond a proper nameday gift.

The morning of the tourney, Visaera spent hours deciding what to wear. With the entirety of the great houses in the capital, she couldn't very well wear one of her Lysene dresses. In the end, she selected the one her mother favored, the black and red one with split sleeves and gold embroidery. The neckline sat at the crest of her shoulders, just barely covering the top of her cleavage that was tightly smushed by her corset. 

"Braid it all and tie it back, Alarya," she requested, running a hand over her soft curls. She didn't need the mess sticking to the sweat on her forehead. Already, she was perspiring beneath her dress, wishing she could wear something with less material. The rest of her dresses called out from the wardrobe, offering relief from the heat, but she ignored the desire to change.

Aemond's words had lingered after their conversation, reminding her that the views of the Seven Kingdoms would not be swayed in a day. And the last thing she wanted was to be the center of conversation during his nameday celebrations.

Her silent protests against the Queen and her condescension would have to wait for another day.

"Everyone's been waiting for you," Helaena whispered, taking her arm the moment she entered the lists. Her face flushed with embarrassment, realizing she was, once again, late. Taking her seat between Helaena and Aemond, Visaera frowned at the realization that the King was not in attendance. How could they hold a tourney and leave him alone in the keep? The injustice of it all made her stomach churn.

The hairs on the back of her neck prickled and she glanced around Helaena. Aegon's eyes were burning when she finally met his gaze. Then his eyes flicked back and forth between her and Aemond and she fought the urge to groan at his obvious jealousy.

Suddenly, she wished her family was there. She would have been seated between her brothers, or beside Rhaena, and Aegon would have no reason to be jealous. With Visaera finally seated, Alicent and her father stood and addressed the crowd, marking the opening of the tourney.

Jousting had always been her favorite event as a child, but she found that the continuing contests of arms excited her far more. Each time one of the men drew their swords, her heart raced in her chest and she leaned forward in her chair.

The sound of steel ringing through the lists thrilled her and she found herself rising from her seat every so often to get a better look. Alicent seemed annoyed with her enthusiasm but Aegon and Aemond both seemed amused.

"Princess, Visaera," Rolling her eyes good-naturedly, she picked up her garland and stepped forward, leaning over the edge.

"Lord Alistair," she greeted politely.

"Would you bestow me the honor of carrying your favor, princess?" She dropped the floral wreath onto the lance and smiled.

"Good luck," she called, before returning to her seat. It seemed her favor did bring him fortune, at least until the last match, hours later, when he was finally unseated. Both men were covered in dirt and blood, the match had been a close one.

As it was his nameday, Aemond was given the honor of announcing the day's champion. The afternoon had grown hotter, if that was even possible, and Visaera's vision swam the moment she rose from her chair. Not eating before she left the keep had been a mistake.