Mud and Trouble

"That's why it always looks uneven, you're stitching it wrong," Helaena explained with a soft smile. While she demonstrated once more, Visaera fought the urge to roll her eyes. She made the stitch attempt again and then sighed, tossing the entire piece onto the table.

Weeks had passed since Aemond's birthday; the days dragging on with dull familiarity. Helaena tried to her best to keep her niece occupied with their lessons and activities, but Visaera only found herself growing more restless.

"It's useless..." she finally admitted. "I will never be able to do this." Helaena stared at her, unable to disagree with the sentiment. "I'm going to go outside..."

The needlework was forgotten and she was bolting through the keep and out into the yard, where her brothers were training. It had been a wet morning after months of dry weather; the grey clouds in the sky threatened rain and she breathed in the cool air. Ser Criston and Aemond were, strangely, absent from the yard and Aegon sat on the stairs, drinking a cup of wine.

She noticed he was drinking wine more often than not lately...

"You shouldn't be down here," Jace teased as she joined them in the dirt. She found the earthy smell of the yard pleasant and considered the possibility of spending more time there. "If Ser Criston—"

"Ser Criston is not here," she snapped back as she browsed over the weapon rack that had been brought out. Trailing her fingers over the wood and steel, she smiled, imagining the Queen's pinched expression if she saw her there in the yard.

Visaera picked up one of the small swords and very nearly dropped it, the weight of the weapon catching her by surprise. It took her only a moment to adjust her grip and give the sword a test swing, rather enjoying the way the steel felt in her hands.

"Visaera, I'm serious you're going to be in so much trouble!" Dropping the blade back onto the rack, Visaera let out an annoyed huff and scooped up a handful of wet dirt, launching it at her brother, hoping to silence him. Unfortunately, she missed, and the ball of mud splattered across Aegon's lap. Jace and Luke broke out into giggles and bolted from the yard, leaving Visaera alone with a very annoyed prince.

"I'm so sorry, Aegon!" she gushed, surging forward to help wipe the mud from his trousers. Aegon caught her by the wrist, glaring down at her. For a moment, Visaera cringed, waiting for him to yell. Instead, he scooped up his own handful of wet dirt and smashed it over the top of her head, effectively leaving her hair and face dripping with cold mud.

Thus, began a great mud war between the two; both of them letting out heavy giggles as they tossed dirt back and forth across the yard.

Both of them were filthy and panting when they came to stand together in the center of the yard. The prince wiped a chunk of mud from her forehead, cleaning her face as she smiled brightly up at him. Then, his fingers were under her chin, tilting her head up. Her eyelids fluttered close in anticipation as he leaned in. His lips were soft and questing, but this time his kiss stirred something inside her; as if his touch was igniting a fire in her belly. Her arms instinctively wrapped around his shoulders and he gently sucked her bottom lip into his mouth as she hummed enthusiastically.

"My prince!" The pair jumped and broke apart at the sound of Ser Criston's voice, both of them breathing heavily.

Visaera opened her mouth to voice an excuse, but the look in Ser Criston's eyes told her that he had seen enough to know the truth. No excuse could save her from the accusing look on his face and the princess knew she was going to be in trouble...

A few hours later, Visaera sat at the foot of her mother's bed, kicking her feet back and forth, as her mother and father thoroughly chastised her for her inappropriate behavior. It was "unbecoming of a princess," they told her.