Just a Walk

She didn't need to go see Aegon. Minutes after Alarya retired for the night, the prince slipped into her room and locked the bolt on the door. She was half asleep when he came to stand by her bed, her mind hazy with the tonic Alarya had forced her to drink.

"Aegon..." She breathed his name and reached for him, unsure of whether he was actually there or whether she was merely dreaming of him.

"Oh, Vis..." He sounded close to tears as he ran his fingers over her cheek. Even half asleep, she leaned into his touch and whimpered. "What are you doing to yourself?" Wrapping his arms around her, he shifted her over, climbed beneath the covers, and pulled her to his chest.

"I love you, Aegon. I'm so sorry I hurt you..." Then the world faded away and all she could hear was the other half of her heart, beating beneath his chest...

Visaera woke with a start, finding herself alone in her bed, the room brightly lit by the early afternoon sun. Disoriented, she stumbled across the room and poured herself a cup of water, drinking like she hadn't in days. Orwyle entered her quarters just as she finished, looking surprised to see her out of bed.

"How are you feeling, princess?"

"Better," she offered him a polite smile, "The sleep helped."

"Good, good. Now, if you're feeling better, you can remain afoot, but I would like you to confine yourself to the castle for the day and lie down should you feel faint." Visaera agreed and he left her another sleeping draught for her to take at the end of the day.

Remembering Aemond's words, she tiptoed across the room and leaned over the vanity, looking in the mirror and dreading what she might find. Despite the full night of sleep, Visaera still had dark circles under her eyes. She hadn't ever remembered looking as thin as she did now and she suddenly understood everyone's worry; she looked nothing like her usual self.

Alarya walked in to find her frantically brushing her hair in the mirror.

"Visaera, let me..." With soft, tender hands, Alarya brushed through her curls and braided the sides of her hair back away from her face. "Better?" Visaera nodded and Alarya kissed the top of her head, bringing tears to her eyes.

"I'm sorry I pushed you away," she whispered, "I've been pushing everyone away... I don't know what else to do..."

"The dreams?" Visaera shook her head.

"I had one, but that's not it... I-I can't..." She sucked in a shuddery breath and tried again, "I've managed to mess everything up and I don't know how to fix it."

"You're talking about the princes?" She nodded and reached for her mouth but Alarya caught her before her teeth could find a piece of skin to bite. "Seems to me that just being honest would help..."

"I did that. I told Aegon the truth and Aemond has been...Rather understanding, which only makes me feel worse. What about Ser Jaunton?" she asked, desperate to change the subject. Immediately, Alarya's skin flushed, making Visaera grin. "I knew it!" For the first time in days, a feeling of genuine excitement coursed through her and she whipped around to face her handmaid. "Have you fucked him yet?"

"Princess!" Alarya scolded, covering her mouth in shock,

"Well?" she demanded. Eventually, Alarya nodded, her cheeks bright with embarrassment.

"Oh, gods! Why didn't you tell me?" She tugged her down into the chair beside her and ordered her to tell her everything. Alarya spared no detail and, when Rhaena arrived sometime later, the pair were grinning like madwomen.

"It's good to see you smile, sister," she offered.

"I suppose it's good to smile," Visaera admitted. None of her problems had been solved, but the sleep had done her a world of good and she did feel much better.