Behind the Walls

Aemond was tired. Tired of fighting his family; tired of hearing Visaera's emotionless voice haunting him, tired of sleepless nights.

The look in Visaera's eyes reminded him of that day in the garden when she's collapsed. It seemed like years ago; the prince could hardly believe it had only been months. He wondered how much longer she would last if the war continued. For a moment, Aemond wondered if all the trouble had been worth it, if he would have chosen the same path had he known how the cards would fall...

"So. Daemon has a full garrison..." he commented softly.

"It would seem so," Aegon replied somberly as they walked through the corridor. "The question is whether or not he plans to use it." Aemond scoffed. They entered Aegon's quarters and the Hand of the King closed the door behind them.

"Of course, he will, if he thinks he has a chance to win," Aemond answered. "Look at his fucking daughter. She's an absolute chaos monster." Aegon snorted in agreement. "Her father is a thousand times worse."

"Are we just openly talking about her parentage, then?" Aegon asked, raising an eyebrow. Aegon hadn't been openly doing anything, as of late. He kept to himself when he moved about the keep, spending far more time with his siblings than he ever had before and only speaking when he knew eyes were not following him.

And when Visaera slept, he would visit her, recalling the hundreds of stolen moments they had shared and how everything had gone to shit in the months since. Sometimes, he would think about leaning in and kissing her pink lips, remembering how soft and warm they felt. Then the princess would stir and he would flee the room, reminding himself that she didn't want him anymore...

"It makes no difference now, does it?" Aemond replied. There was a long moment of silence between them and then Aegon sighed.

"What are you thinking, brother?" the king asked.

"I'm thinking we should find a way to compromise with our half-sister," Aemond replied, his mouth set in a tight line. "I'd rather not plunge the realm into war if there's a way around it."

"Mother and Grandfather will never agree to that," Aegon commented dryly.

"No, they won't..." Aemond replied. "Grandfather called for the moon tea," he added. Aegon's eyes widened but he said nothing. A silent exchange was made between the princes. Neither of them voiced what would come next, but both of them understood what was to be done...

...

"How can I not worry?" Rhaena replied with exasperation as she slipped her nightgown over her head. Baela shrugged.

"She was practically fucking them both before we left, sister. Somehow, I doubt they're ripping her fingernails out right now." Baela replied, reaching over to braid her sister's hair out of the way.

"I didn't say they were torturing her, Baela, I just... Jace said she was wounded when she fell from Carrion's back. What if she's already dead and we've had no idea this whole time?"

"You're fucking morbid, Rhaena." Baela replied, shaking her head. "Try to think positive, or we'll all go mad with worry."  Neither of them spoke but Rhaena climbed into her sister's bed and Baela wrapped her arms around her, trying to offer her comfort. Rhaena and Visaera had been inseparable for almost six years, it was understandable that Rhaena would worry for her sister. Running her hand over her sister's braid, and began to hum one of the lullabies that Laena used to sing to them, until Rhaena's eyelids fluttered closed and her breathing deepened.

...

Rhaenyra Targaryen was pacing in front of the hearth, listening to Lord Corlys and her son talk about enlisting Dragonseeds to claim the wild dragons on the island.