Eye of The Storm

When Visaera and Carrion finally dropped below the clouds, they were immediately battered with rain and the princess struggled to keep her hold on the dragon's back as he quickly became slippery.

Lightning flashed in the sky, helping her find her way in the dark and Visaera landed Carrion nearly a mile from the keep. Her dragon may have bonded with her but he was far from tame and she didn't want to risk the safety of any of the guards.

"Stay here and try not to eat anyone!" she commanded in their mother tongue, patting him reassuringly. In the pouring rain, Visaera changed her torn tunic and removed her gloves, shoving them in her satchel. The walk wasn't far, but Visaera was exhausted and, by the time she reached the castle, the princess was soaked through and panting. As she stepped through the gates and announced her arrival, Visaera tried to fluff her hair and straighten her clothes, hoping to look somewhat presentable for the Lord of Storm's End.

"Princess Visaera Velaryon, daughter of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen," one of the guards called as they opened the doors and she stepped into the Round Hall, dripping rainwater onto the stone floor.

"Lord Borros," she greeted breathlessly. "I apologize for the state of my appearance, it seems the Stormlands are aptly named." Borros smiled, but it was the derisive snort across the hall that caught her attention. Still, she refused to look Aemond's way. "I bring a message, my lord, from my mother... The Queen..."

"And yet, earlier this day I received an envoy from... The King... So, which is it? King or Queen?" Borros asked. "It seems the House of the Dragon does not know who rules it." His words angered her and she replied without thinking.

"The entirety of House Targaryen knows who the rightful heir to the throne is, whether they choose to admit it or not," she finally glanced across the room at her uncle. The eyepatch had resumed its place over his sapphire eye and for some reason, this angered her further. "The question that remains is... do you, my lord?" His daughters broke into shocked whispers and Aemond's eye widened at her blunt disrespect, but Borros only laughed, amused.

"What's your mother's message, girl?" She held up the sealed scroll and one of the guards plucked it from her fingers, crossing the hall and passing it to Borros. After a long moment of uncomfortable silence, he called for the maester in a huff of annoyance. "Another marriage offer, how interesting..." he mused.

"Yes, my Lord," she replied dutifully, "It is my mother's expressed desire to see the realm at peace. In addition to uniting your house, once again, to House Targaryen, you will, in turn, also be uniting the Stormlands with the North. Should you ever need support, the Crown, and the North will offer aid without fail."

Rhaenyra had insisted she let Lord Borros know that their offer would come with certain assurances, but Visaera wondered if she should be revealing so much in front of her uncle. Aemond didn't need to know what their plans were. And yet... It felt good to see shock written on his face.

"The North?" Lord Borros echoed, looking confused.

"Of course, my Lord," she answered with a polite curtsy, keeping her tone soft. Visaera knew how to play her part. "My marriage to Lord Stark will guarantee you always have a friend in Winterfell. Your grandchildren and my children will be cousins, assuring a long-lasting bond between our houses."

To anyone else, Aemond would have seemed disinterested in the conversation, but Visaera saw the way his gaze sharpened and his jaw clenched at her words. He was furious. The knowledge sent a shiver of satisfaction through her and she fought the urge to grin.

"And yet, if one of my daughters were to wed Prince Aemond—"

"They would stand to inherit nothing from a second son," Visaera added, the grin finally spreading across her face as she glanced at the prince. Visaera found it amusing that terms were offered to her mother only hours ago, ensuring Aemond still desired to marry her, and yet, he was standing in the Round Hall, offering his hand to someone else. Alicent and Otto were every bit the snakes she had assumed them to be and she wondered if Aegon knew they had sent terms at all...