Don't Lose Your Head

*** The following chapter, as well as the next, includes dialogue taken directly from HOTD, all rights belong to HBO***

While Visaera tried to paste a reassuring smile on her face, her white knuckles as she clutched Jace's hand surely conveyed her nervousness. When the doors opened, her family entered the throne room together, their heads held high, refusing to give anyone the satisfaction of seeing their doubt. And they all had doubts, though they hid them well.

She could feel eyes on her and she glanced across the room, finding Aegon and Aemon both watching her. Overwhelmed with all that was happening, she merely stared back warily. Rhaenyra placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder, but Visaera could feel it trembling.

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds," Otto began, his voice echoing through the throne room, "we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters. The Crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon."

"My Queen. My Lord Hand." Vaemond greeted them both with small bows. "The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name." Visaera snorted and all eyes fell on her, Vaemond falling silent.

"I didn't know we came here for a history lesson, Lord Vaemond," she offered with a mean smirk. Across the room, someone, probably Aegon, snorted and then coughed, trying to hide their laughter. Vaemond's lip curled back into a snarl and then he turned his attention back to Otto. "I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins."

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon." Rhaenyra interjected, sounding almost bored with the proceeding, conveying the utter ridiculousness of the entire thing. "If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir. No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition."

"You will have a chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra." Alicent interrupted, "Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard."

"What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess?" Vaemond finally asked, turning to speak directly to Rhaenyra, "I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours. My Queen, my lord Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor... the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides."

"Thank you, Ser Vaemond." Otto replied. "Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Jacaerys Velaryon." Her mother stepped forward and sighed, wringing her hands together. She didn't look it on the outside, but Visaera could tell she was anxious.

"If I am to grace this farce with some answer," Rhaenyra began, "I will start by reminding the court that nearly 20 years ago, in this very..."

"King Viserys of House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm!" Visaera nearly sobbed with relief, her legs threatening to give out.

The entire court turned to watch Viserys struggle his way through the throne room, leaning on his cane for support. More than anything, Visaera was in awe. Her grandfather had been ill for years, his condition worsening over the last few months, and yet, there he was...