In Hot Water

Once inside the safety of the keep, Visaera retreated to her usual spot in the garden, hiding from the castle's inhabitants

Once inside the safety of the keep, Visaera retreated to her usual spot in the garden, hiding from the castle's inhabitants. She was far too embarrassed to look anyone in the eye and she silently cursed her uncle for putting her in such an awful position.

Pondering over what exactly Aegon's motives were, she picked at the edges of her nails. Even with no one around, heat bloomed under her skin at the thought of his skin flush against hers. Humiliation immediately followed as she thought of how gullible she was.

At every turn, Aegon managed to take advantage of her affection for him; the thought made anger boil in her gut. Perhaps he knew that they would be seen in the same place; perhaps he had planned it...

But why would he do that to her? Surely, he couldn't be that cruel... After they had shared something so special only hours before? Visaera scrubbed at her face, fighting the urge to cry in frustration.

"Princess Visaera!" The sound of Ser Criston's voice echoed across the gardens; making her cringe. There was no mistaking what was about to happen. After all, the Queen had never sent Ser Criston to find her before; she wouldn't send him unless it was for something important. She couldn't avoid the repercussions forever, she decided, as she rose from the ground and dusted off her skirts.

"There you are," was all the knight said when she finally appeared from behind the hedged. "The Queen has summoned you." Already feeling like a scolded child, she merely nodded and followed him in silence. Her heartbeat quickened and her nervousness increased as they drew closer to the queen's apartments.

While she thought she was prepared to brave Alicent's scolding, the sight of Larys Strong sitting on the settee beside the Queen startled her. Chills ran down her spine as he stared at her with a smug, knowing look.

"Visaera, there you are. Come in, please," the queen commanded. Swallowing her nervousness and straightening her back, Visaera entered the room and took a seat on the leather bench opposite Alicent. "Lord Larys had some news; he assured me you would want to be here when he delivered it." Visaera's eyes widened and it took everything in her power not to tremble at her words. She glanced at Larys and nervously chewed her bottom lip.

"Would you like to tell the Queen, princess, or shall I?" he asked, leaning forward against his walking stick. The grin never once left his face. He was enjoying humiliating her and the knowledge made Visaera feel sick.

"I don't know what you mean, Lord Larys—"

"Very well,' he sighed, seeming almost disappointed with her answer. "My Queen, I've received multiple reports from King's Landing this afternoon. Prince Aegon and Visaera were both seen together in the bathhouse." She glanced at Queen Alicent and then back at him; her eyes wide with shock.

Aegon had promised not to tell anyone; he wouldn't break a promise. In all the years she had known him, Aegon had never lied to her. If it were anyone else, she would have believed it immediately, but not Aegon. Someone else must have reported to Larys.