- Chapter 4 -

Desirae

Lets recap for a minute. First I'm begged by my best friend to go to my ex's hockey game. I get a Twitter shout-out and die of embarrassment, hope said ex doesn't see at the game. He does and then tries to confront me about it at a rink mid-skate.

What a fun Sunday, anyway I'm back doing classes now. I took last week off to focus on skating. I have finals in 2 months so I need to study hard if I want to get my degree.

"What are you working on now?" Ophelia asks, "I have to design a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. It counts for a quarter of my grade at the end of the semester."

"Boring, why can't you do a fun degree like mine. Film production is so exciting but Architecture just seems so bland." Ophelia rambles on about her degree being more fun all the time but yet she's failing? Make that make sense.

"Your never there, you miss all your classes." I respond. "That's whats fun. I never do anything if I'm there anyway." 

"Your going to fail." I call out as she walks away. 

"I'm not bothered, I'll just marry a rich man." She shouts as she leaves, where is she going? I don't know.

I continue my sketch, I need it completed by Wednesday. But I think about what she said, and based of my experience with a rich man - a cocky as fuck hockey player with old money. It never works out, someone is miserable and will want to or will leave.

----------

"Last time, we need to wrap it up." It's my final training session before Saturday. I've pretty much nailed this routine now. I'll probably come back on Friday and give it one last go around to make sure I have it perfect before I compete.

"Alright." I get into my starting position for the 100th time today and the music starts, safe to say I'm sick of hearing the same song over and over again, but anything to win. I want to be proud of myself for accomplishing something like this. Even if it is a small competition, with like 20 contestants.

"Perfect, Desirae. If you posture stays like that you are destined for gold." I smile at her words, it's the type of confirmation I need right now.

"Thank you, coach." I say as the doors to the rink open and the hockey team floods in, thats my queue to leave. "I'll see you Saturday, bright and early." Elle says, I nod and skate off.

"Hello beautiful." I stop after I get off the ice. "Hello Carter." I sigh.

"What are you doing later?" He asks, "Nothing much, probably going to watch a movie with Ophelia."

"That's so boring, why don't we go out somewhere? Just the two of us."

"No thank you, I'm good." I nod and try to turn away.

He grabs my arm and pulls me closer to him, "Are you really going to turn me down in front of everyone?" He shakes his head, almost as if he is disappointed with me.

"Please let go of me." I ask.

"Not until you say yes." He demands.

"Carter, please let me go." I whisper, trying not to cause a scene. All that does is make his grip tighter. "I wont let you go until you say yes."

"I'm not going out with you, this is so wrong." I respond, my arm is killing now.

"Carter, let her go." He demands as he pulls his shoulder away from me. I may not like him very much, but I am so grateful for Jax right now.

He doesn't let go of my arm, which leads to think he doesn't know about us, "We're good, Hardy. I don't need your input." He says, he is still glaring at me.

"Let her go, she clearly doesn't want this." 

"Whatever, filthy bitch." He curses at me and walks to the locker rooms. Which causes me to let out a sign of relief. "Thank you, Jax. Honestly I didn't know if he was ever going to let me go."

"No worries, I wont let you be violated." He smiles softly at me, I feel like he's being genuine.

I smile at him and start putting my skates in their bag, "He's never acted like that to me before, he'd hit on me but ever touch me."

"I promise you, as long as I live here he will never touch you like that again." I can't trust that, but I appreciate that he is concerned about me.

"Okay, thank you." Then I walked away. I'd love to be able to trust him when he promises me something, but being promised to get married and then up and leaves? I have very right to be skeptical.

----------

"Movie time!" I shout, and Ophelia comes out her room with blankets and a bowl of popcorn. "What are we watching?" she asks.

"I'm not sure, there's to many options." I've sat and scrolled through the Netflix movie section at least twice. "Let me see." I hand Ophelia the the remote and she immediately clicks on Mean Girls.

"Your so predictable." I laugh. "It's a good movie, it's worth watching it over and over." she stops and continues, "You've watch the first Avatar a million and one times. You cannot talk."

"Fine." I laugh, she knows she's right. I love that film, hence why I've watched the second one in the theatre 4 times.

"Give me a blanket it's cold, the heating has broken again." I complain, "Again? We need to move." Ophelia adds.

"We're broke, we cannot move." I say, "We need another roommate, we could split the rent in thirds." I know exactly what she's thinking and while it's a smart idea, I love just living with her.

"Bella can't move in with us, we need the third room as an office. Our rooms are too small already." I add.

"But she's perfect, she has lots of spare money." She complains.

"I'll sleep on it." No I wont.

-----------

Other then skating, I have one other obsession. McDonald's, the best thing ever. Besides Ophelia of course. So that's wear I am, the McDonald's drive thru. I normally don't like drive thrus but for nuggets? Always!

"9 nuggets, Fanta and medium fries please!" I ask.

"Drive to the next window." The operator says. Rude? 

"$6.50 please." What is up with them today, normally they are so much nicer. I give her $6.50 and drive to the next window to pick up my food.

I get my food and drive away to the rink, its Friday. Honestly I may as well live at the rink, I am there all the time.

It's 3pm, which means I compete in less then 20 hours. That is scary.

What if I fuck it up, I wouldn't be shocked I'd get too nervous and fall as soon as I get on the ice.

When I pulled up to the rink, I'd already finished my food and was searching for trash can. Once I couldn't find one I came to the conclusion there would be one inside and went back to my car and picked up my skate bag.

I probably looked like I was moving in, except I hoard trash. 

"Need help? I can carry something for you." He smiles are me and offers his hand out.

"I'm good, thanks though." 

"Let me help you, Desirae. You've clearly got your hands full, I can carry one thing." Jax offers again.

"Maybe you can help me." I sigh softly, flashing a small smile at him.

"Here." He takes a McDonald's bag out of my arms, I immediately feel relief and relax my back. "Thank you." I say, "You have a competition tomorrow don't you? You can't get back pain." I look up at him and stop walking, "How did you know? Who told you?"

He laughs and looks down at me, "No one told me, I saw it on your instagram and it was at the rink."

"You follow my instagram?" I ask him, "Yes, I did when I moved back. I was going to reach out but I thought it was too soon." He responds.

"Oh, yeah I guess it was." I say and start walking again. Maybe I wish he reached out.