8.

to keep with the times
(Clover is now three months old
and it's February)

to keep with the times (Clover is now three months old and it's February)

☀️☀️☀️

A month later

After work, Dreamur did was promised. She was on her way home but stopped to get gas, sanitary napkins, baby oil, and Vaseline. It was colder than usual for the last couple of days. Dreamur wanted to make sure she was stocked. She made sure all her records were updated, and she took pictures of Clover's private areas and face to document before pictures if she came home with any rashes or blisters. Clover would be starting daycare Tuesday and she wanted to make sure her daughter's bag was well prepared. She didn't want her to get wind burn, or dry skin at all.

Everything on her list was stocked in the store, gas was high as usual and she made her way back home. The door was opened, which made the process of getting in, easier. She pulled the handle but the screen door was locked. Sighing, she knocked lightly to get Xarie's attention. Luckily, Xarie heard her and quickly came to unlock the door.

"Sorry boo. I thought I unlocked this." She apologized. She took the bags from Dreamur, while Dreamur locked the door back.

Xarie set the bags down where Dreamur suggested and they walked back out, and locked up to head out. During the ride, both girls talked amongst each other while Lil Baby- Hey played from the AUX. In such a short time the girls had gotten to know each other. Dreamur was careful not to tell everything. She was careful with the "friend" word. She didn't mind helping Xarie but she wanted to keep that wall up about personal business, and life.

"What you hoping for?" Xarie had decided she wanted to keep her baby. She didn't want to take an innocent life because of the choices she made. She thought since she was being grown, she needed to be grown up and have the baby.

"A girl, like you." She smiled. She patted her non-existent but hard belly. Xarie was excited but scared at the same time. She had seen plenty of women give birth on Facebook videos she saw on her timeline. A lot of them cried and the screaming was scary. "What was birth like for you?" Xarie asked.

"Excruciating but it's only because of the contractions." Dreamur responded, honestly.

"Oh Lord," Xarie nervously chuckled. "Did you have an epidural at least?" Dreamur shook her head.

"Nope. I didn't want one." The truth was she had a cousin to pass after receiving one. The baby didn't survive either.

"How come? Doesn't-" Right on cue for a saved by the bell celebration, Clover was up. Dreamur excused herself, so she could retrieve a bottle of breast milk from the fridge across the room.

Sitting back down she pulled Clover from the seat and popped the top off. Xarie watched closely how Dreamur held Clover's head, and balanced the bottle so she didn't aspirate or over drink.

"I saw you looking on indeed the other night, did you find anything?" Xarie shook her head. Unfortunately no one was hiring for the positions she wanted or either the pay was too low. It took her awhile to find the waitressing job. She had secured it and just like that she lost it. She would have to find something soon, she was getting ready for motherhood.