chapter 20

LUCIAN POV

I have had a blast morning, King can be very gentle and nice when he decides.
I even got a hot goodbye kiss.

So it's safe to say, my day was going very well. That will probably explain why am grinning from ear to ear.

As i stand with my other colleagues. Today the new captain is being selected,  as the captain has being appointed as chief.

Everyone was giving me pats on my back, as they pass me. Cause, it is clear am the next captain.

And that is making me even more giddy,  because am finally able to live my sister's legacy as the youngest captain since her.

Zake bumps my shoulder playfully. "How do you feel captain".

"Well, am not yet selected as captain". I reply air quoting the captain part.

"Don't be humble now. Everyone here knows it's you".

"I hope so". I say with crossed fingers

The captain or should i say chief enters, and after a short speech he addresses the topic we were all waiting for.

"As you may all know, am now appointed as chief. Meaning, the captain position remains vacant". He pauses as he looks at us. "And the new appointed captain is". He takes another pause as i hold my breath.  "Zake .R. Colwell".

I turn to look at Zake with shock, but he is returning the same look. He is also probably wondering what is going on.

"And Hunter and Colwell, I'll be needing you in my office". He says as he makes his exit.

Both of us moves awkwardly and in silence.

"Do you know why you were not selected as captain, Mr hunter".  The chief asks as soon as we enter.

"No sir".

"You have been on the case of King, for quite some time now. And yet you have yield no results for five years".

"Sir, with all due of respect. You are the one who wasn't supporting the case". I say with clenched teeth.

He kicks me, on the shin. Which causes me to stumble backwards but i maintain my posture, as i clench my teeth harder.

Zake on the other hand, is looking at our direction with shock. And apart from the pain i feel, hurt and shock is something i definitely feel.

The chief despite his weakness, has always been someone i respect. And he has always being taking care of us.

"Be careful with how you adress me, boy". He says as he gets in my space.

And in return i just glare right straight at him. I can't back down, it's not like i did something wrong.

He finally steps back. "I give you 5 days to solve the case. Failure to do so, you not being Captain will be the least of your concern".

I blink. Maybe i heard him wrong.

"Are we clear".

"Yes sir" . I spat

"Your dismissed".  He waves me off.

Turning i step outside, but i really want to know what brought this by. So i stayed behind to listen.

"Sir, i don't understand why.......".zake was asking hesitantly

"Mr Colwell, I'll be honest with you. Your friend has pissed a lot of people up there. With his association with king".

"But.......".