Fourteen.

3 knocks. 

"Ana. It's me." I grabbed the sword, just in case, moving the table and opening the door a crack for him. "I'm alone. I swear." I nodded, pulling the door open and letting him in. 

"You need to help me here I can't lace the back up." 

"Turn then." I did, pulling my hair to the side. "You'll have to talk me through it." 

"It just needs tightening slightly and tying off. Like a pair of boots." He started at the top, pulling them out, pulling and moving to the next, it getting tighter each time. "Why are you wearing all this anyway. Aren't we in a rush?" 

"Yes. But if I go out there looking like I rushed getting ready how does that look? Like I'm worried. I am but they can't know that. If that get's out-" 

"Then you'll be getting this constantly because it's a weakness." I nodded and I could feel the hot breath of his sigh on the back of my shoulders.  The room fell into silence. Only the sounds of crashing and shouting from outside my room echoing in the castle. The girls would be getting dressed too. They knew what to do. Into Florence's room together, block the door and make sure they are wearing something they can run in and is appropriate. We'd rehearsed it too many times as kids.

"You were a lot quicker than I thought you would be."

"I ran." 

"You ran?" 

"I didn't want to leave you alone as it was." He stood back. "Done." I moved my hands back, tucking the lace in and pulling my jacket on, turning and facing him as I fastened it. He was looking at the three guys on the floor. "You did well without anyone." 

"What makes you think I wouldn't have done?" 

"No. I knew you would. You're tough. I just didn't think with 3 on one-" 

"Let me get this straight right now. I could have taken more tonight. I could have had 10 men in here and gotten by just fine. Sure I wouldn't have gotten by unscathed but I'd be alive and that's all that matters." 

"Ana I'm-" 

"Let's go." I adjusted my grip on the sword. He pulled his out,  grabbing the candle again so we could see where we were going. 

"What's the plan?" 

"Get to the girls. Get to the throne room." 

"It's going to be packed in there Ana." 

"That's why we hope Bash has seen the flag." I sighed, pulling my door open. "If he hasn't then its just us. If there's too many then-" I sighed. "That's not an option. I'm not backing down." He grabbed my hand as a group of them could be heard heading in our direction.  "What are you doing?" 

"Do you trust me?" 

"Not really." 

"Ana. Right now. Do you trust that I want to keep you safe? That I don't want you to get hurt?"  

"I guess." 

"Good." He pushed me up against the wall, putting the hand I was holding the sword in behind me. I screamed as he did and his hand went over my mouth "I'm so sorry but they won't hurt us this way." He smashed his lips into mine. It was hot, deep intense. I closed my eyes. I couldn't look at him right now. I couldn't breathe. My head was fuzzy and everything was blurring around us. It felt like everything else was fading into the background.

"Sorry. We didn't know you already had her." He lifted off me, putting his hand over my mouth as he did. He looked at them and smirked. 

"Oh she's not going anywhere anytime soon. Move along though. I like my privacy." They nodded and hurried off. His head moved to my neck, not kissing it but looking like he was. I bit his hand. Hard. "Did you just bite me?" He whispered his hand not moving. I smiled against his hand and he chuckled slightly, his hot breathe causing Goosebumps all over my body. "Are they gone?" I nodded and he stepped back quickly, grabbing my hand and continuing in the direction we were going in. 

My heart was pounding in my chest with the adrenaline. My feet felt like they were barely moving as we ran down a flight of stairs. 

This area looked untouched and was relatively quiet. He stopped us before we went any further. 

"What are you doing? Come on." 

"No." 

"What?" I spun around to face him. "I need to-" He pulled me back with my hand, landing me back in his arms in the middle of the corridor. 

"I need to do it again." 

"Christopher-" 

"Shh. After tonight you can go back to hating me for being a prick. But right now. I just- Before we get to the girls and I can't do it again." He pushed his lips down closer to mine, them not touching. "As horrible as all this is. I am so fucking glad I came tonight. That I got to kiss you again." His breathe was hot against my lips. 

Everything was fuzzy around me now. An orange haze around us. This place was burning but I didn't care. I wanted him to do it again too. 

"Do it then." I breathed

"What?"

"Do it again." I looked up at his eyes. "If I have to ask again-" 

I didn't. He was on me in under a second flat. He dropped my hand, putting both of them on my back and pulling me closer. Deeper. 

He tasted of salt and red wine. My favourite red wine. My heart was beating so fast I was sure he'd be able to feel it. My entire body decompressed. Like taking a sigh of relief. 

What the fuck was happening? I pulled back and our eyes locked. 

"No one can know about this." I took a step back. "If they do I will-" 

"I won't tell anyone. I won't do it again I promise Ana." I grabbed his hand and turned, pulling him deeper into the palace and closer to the girls. 

Jesus Christ. How were my legs staying standing. 

That-  

That was something for sure.

It wasn't long before I was dropping his hand and knocking three times.

"It's me. Open up. I've got Christopher with me though." The door opened a creak and Florence looked me up and down then Christopher who was behind me. Enough distance that it didn't look suspicious. "We're fine." She pulled the door open and we both stepped inside, closing the door behind us.

"Has anyone been down here?" They all shook their heads and I turned to Chris. "They were definitely just here for me then." I sighed and he nodded.

"What do you mean they were here for you?"

"Who's here?"

"What's happening. I'm so confused." We looked at Celeste and Georgina pulled her closer.

"Are you all ready to go? It's going to be bloody. Have you got your knives?" I looked at them and they all held them out. "Good. Keep them hidden." They nodded. "Stay behind us and listen carefully. Do exactly as we say. What do you do if things go south?"

"Run to the woods." I nodded as they all repeated their instructions in unison.

"And you do not stay for me. Got it?" They all looked around each other, nodding much slower.

I didn't like it either.