Seventeen.

I stood in the throne room the following afternoon, waiting for my parents' arrival.  I was pretty proud of how I'd handled the whole thing without batting an eyelid. I knew my parents would spin it to Chris though. They'd find a way. They were bound to be pissed at Bash for leaving too but that was fine. I would tell them I told him to go. After all, we had dozens of people here. And it was supposed to be for one night. He showed up soon enough. And I was untouched. Not even a scratch. 

Chris stood in the middle of the room, facing me as I sat in my throne. My own, beside my fathers. It didn't feel right sitting in his. My own was fine. 

"They should be here soon." I gave him a simple nod. 

"You didn't need to stay. You could have gone home." 

"And if something happened to you? What then?" 

"Then you'd have had to find someone else to piss off." He smiled at me. "What are you smirking at now?" 

"You." 

"What about me?" 

"You're just trying really hard to hate me still." 

"I do hate you." I rolled my eyes which only made him smile harder. "For goodness sake. Stop smiling like a clown." I huffed, standing up. "Or do you want another knife in your leg?" 

"No that hurt a lot more than I thought it would." 

"Good. As it should for pushing me too far again." 

"THEY'RE HERE." Georgina came bounding in through the open doors, panting. "Percy is here. He's-" 

"I'm here." He ran in right behind her, moving straight to me. "Are you okay? What happened? Who was it?" 

"Okay calm down the questions. One at a time." I smiled as he looked me over. "Not even a scratch Percy." 

"You swear?" 

"On god himself." He rolled his eyes knowing that meant nothing to me. "I'm fine. They didn't get  close enough to hurt me. And as one almost did-" I looked back at Chris, which caused Percy to look back. 

"Christopher? What are you doing here? Are you behind this because if you are I swear to-" 

"He isn't Percy." He stopped as I grabbed his hand, pulling him back. "He got here just in time to stop anything happening and made sure I was okay the whole time." He turned to look at me again. 

"Not even a scratch?" 

"One of them touched her ankle. That's it." Chris spoke strongly. Almost proud. "She had more of them on the floor than I did. You should be proud." Percy turned around abruptly, walking up to Chris until he was against the wall like I had been. 

"You didn't touch her did you?" 

"No. I wouldn't dream of it." I rolled my eyes. Bullshit. 

"Why are you still here?" 

"Did you think I'd leave her with just Sebastian after that? What if they came back? No. I stayed watch of her room for the rest of the night." 

"Where is Sebastian?" 

"Why are you asking him and not the person who gave Sebastian his orders?" I crossed my arms  and raised my eyebrow at Percy who turned around. "He's down in the dungeon, bringing Louis up." 

"It was Louis?" 

"Of course it was. He didn't want to let me go. So he-" 

"Arranged for someone to rape her so she'd be damaged goods. Then he'd gracefully take in the broken woman no one else wanted." My father walked in abruptly. "Are you okay Anastasia?" 

"I'm fine." I sighed. 

"Good. Go see your mother." I did as I was told, leaving the men to talk. The doors closed behind me and I stood staring at my mother. 

"Ana." I smiled. 

"Mother." I joined her, putting my arm through hers. 

"Sebastian told us what happened. Everything. And all your sneaking out as well." 

"Oh." I looked at the floor. How much did she know. I was not saying something for her to not know and it be a whole thing. "What has he told you?" 

"That you have both been practicing sword fighting for some time as you wanted to protect yourself. That you are an archer too. He said you never stopped after last time." I sighed, holding my shoulders back. 

"I haven't and look it paid off last night. If I hadn't been practicing, If I wasn't confident with a sword then last night would have been disastrous. I had no one here. I know me sending Sebastian away wasn't wise but I couldn't let him stay whilst his father was so sick. And how was I to know Simon was the reason behind it all. I mean. Sebastian thought he was trustworthy" 

"Anastasia." We stopped walking. My mother putting both hands on either sides of my face. "What happened? Why are you so high strung?"

"Nothing." I sighed, lowering my head. I could tell her more than father, for sure. But I had to be slow. I couldn't tell her about the kiss. Or the guy who's hand reached my knee. Or that Chris saw me in my night gown and then laced up my corset. No. No one could know that. I'd be screwed. Be with the sisters for the rest of my life. 

"There's going to be a ball tonight." 

"Tonight?" 

"Yes. We have to show we are untouched. Go get ready with the girls. Nap. You look exhausted." 

"I am exhausted." I smiled sweetly. 

"Well. Everyone is here now. You are safe again. No one will come get you. So rest darling. I will send someone to wake you when you need to get ready. Okay?" 

"Yes mother." I turned on my heel and started in the direction of my bedroom.  

16 hours ago, there was a dozen dead bodies laid here and I felt stronger than I had in my entire life. Yet now I was in the same place and I have never felt weaker or smaller.  

But I hadn't felt safer all the same. It's weird. I can't explain it.  I speak 4 languages fluently and in not a single one can I explain this feeling in my stomach.