019

Beomgyu's just out of earshot of the group when he stops his dad by grabbing onto his arm, eyeing the people at his table.

Not only is Aisha and his family there, but so is Hyunjin and his. There's others there too but he doesn't have any unwanted ties to them, and he knows his father didn't have any bad intention joining the Hwang's for dinner because he has no idea about any of that. But inviting Aisha's family, that was premeditated.

"Well, in case your relationship with Yeonjun doesn't work out, it'd be smart to get to know the woman you might be marrying... don't you think?"

"No, I don't think that! I think what you've done is rude!" he snaps in a hushed tone, fire in his eyes.

It's a heavy effort to distinguish the anger of being tricked like this but he somehow manages, taking in a deep breath and letting go of his dad's arm.

"Why? Yeonjun's not being excluded, he's here."

Yes, here where he has to watch his 'boyfriend' be set up on some weird date with Aisha and the 'juries'.

He rolls his eyes at the idea, looking over his shoulder at Yeonjun. He's tempted to grab his hand and leg it out of here. Yeonjun's anxious, Beomgyu can tell by the way his eyes are flickering over the guests and the way he's unconsciously holding his breath.

He searches from Yeonjun's hand subtly but doesn't make to leave, instead squeezing it and heading towards the table where everyone can see their hands clasped together.

He shoots the guests a short smile as his family comes to join. Taehyun sits by Yeonjun's side since the one near Beomgyu isn't free.

He should've thought before he took his seat in anger because he'd gone for the one right next to Hyunjin.

"Hi, Gyu." Hyunjin smiles at Beomgyu, there's a hint of sadness in it that he fails to conceal.

Beomgyu returns the gesture but there's zero emotion in his and if one breaks into one, it'll be annoyance.

"Sorry for arriving so late, Taehyun struggled with his hair," Beomgyu's mother jokes and earns some chuckles from the table. Not from her youngest, he glowers at her, lips pouting.

Somehow that's all it takes for the adults at the table (or more so the elders) to burst into conversation. He hears his mother talking about a brunch she had with a major sales company to one of the other guests he doesn't know by name.

It's awkward. Whenever he looks around the table, his eyes meet with a shy Aisha or he can see Hyunjin's glances on him.

Yeonjun squeezes his hand, stealing his attention.

"Everything okay?" he asks in a low voice so those paying little attention won't get involved.

"Could ask you the same thing," Beomgyu mumbles, pursing his lips miserably.

"It's part of my job, princess." He laughs, taking a sip of the water already placed in front of him.

It's a complimentary drink although there's nothing complimentary about it. It's water.

Beomgyu frowns at the reference Yeonjun makes, fighting the urge to stick his bottom lip out to form a pet lip.

"Right..." He nods, agreeing.

Doesn't want to, but he does.

"So, Beomgyu... how have you been, we haven't seen you in forever," Hyunjin's mother speaks up, her voice is happy but there's disappointment in her eyes. He was such a lovely friend of Hyunjin's from what she knew and they drifted apart.