044

"These are the three flavours we narrowed your requests down to," the pâtissier, Dan-Tae, says as he approaches with three plates, one in each hand and one balanced between his forearm and chest.

He places them down on the table in front of the couple and Yeonjun's mom–who had invited herself upon hearing where they were going while visiting.

The three stare at the slices of cake with intrigue, fiddling with the forks in their hand like they're waiting for permission to eat.

"This flavour here is known as Zingy Citrus and is a lemon and lime cake with added mojito filling for an extra tang and zesty buttercream," the Dan-Tae informs, pointing to the cake in front of Beomgyu and waiting for the three to get a piece on their forks.

Yeonjun screws up his face at the tang he can taste on his tongue from the pâtissier naming the key ingredients alone, mouth curling down and brows lowering. Still, he copies the awaiting Beomgyu and Hyeon-Nam and fills his fork. Albeit, with a smaller amount than the other two.

The three shovelling the cake into their mouths and the two relatives' faces sour (like mother, like son) whereas Beomgyu's expression brightens, delighted by the surprising, yet delicious, taste of the cake. Though, he is a huge fan of citrus-based foods.

The pâtissier pretends not to see the expression on the others' faces, focusing on Beomgyu. "This flavour has always been a little controversial, there's an even number of lovers... and haters."

He flicks his gaze to the other two, where Yeonjun is evidently trying to rid his mouth from the flavour and Hyeon-Nam lips are unknowingly showing her distaste.

His eyes slide back to Beomgyu. "Like you, I'm one of those that like it." He and Beomgyu laugh before he moves onto the next one, hands clasping behind his back.

"Next, we have the Decadent Chocolate which is a rich chocolate fudge cake filled with a ganache filling," he talks as the three consumers gather the new flavour onto their forks, eyes all filled with hope, little can go wrong with chocolate.

"Which, might I add, is simply delicious," he states and earns a laugh from them all.

Yeonjun likes this flavour significantly more than the last; Beomgyu likes it too, but his mother's throat tenses on the way down and she places her hand on her neck as she swallows.

"A little too rich for my old taste buds, but I don't think I'll end up eating any on the actual wedding day anyway... I'm usually too focused on the bride and groom and now..."

She covers her mouth politely with her hand, suddenly overcome with emotions. "My son's going to be the one getting married" A tear slips from her cheek and Beomgyu grabs one of the napkins, which were for their mouths, handing it to her.

She accepts it and wipes her eyes. "And to such a wonderful boy," she cries out and then sobs as the two soothe her. Yeonjun shoots an apologetic look to Dan-Tae, who smiles awkwardly.

Hyeon-Nam wipes her eyes and exhales out of her mouth as she calms the stir of emotions in her chest, positively moved at the knowledge her son is to be wed. She sniffles then looks up at the pâtissier. "Sorry about that."

She laughs softly and lets out a final heavy exhale. "Right, what's next?" she asks, clasping her hands together.

"Er–" Dan-Tae slides his hand over to the final one, the one sitting before Yeonjun, and states:"for this one we decided on a simple vanilla and strawberry, a classic that no one can go wrong with, it has a strawberry conserve and a vanilla buttercream that is just splendid on the tongue." He kisses his hands to express his words further.