Chapter 8: The Sign

Welcome to Camp Lakeview. The broken wooden sign above my head read. I stood there not believing that I'm actually back at this place. Everything that happened came flooding back into my brain. I've been trying to block it for all these years and it still hasn't gone away. I began scanning the area and flashes of the past crept up in my memory. The place was dark and empty. I don't get how anyone can turn this evil place into something positive. It's just dead like me.

I head laughter but I couldn't pin point where it was coming from. I started to walk around trying to find out who it was. Things started to seem fuzzy and I couldn't see straight. I kept walking until I stood right in front of cabin five. The cabin where Danielle and I stayed. The cabin where I watched my best friend die and I didn't do anything to help save her. I took a deep breath and walked in. I don't know why it was like I couldn't control my body. The place is exactly how I remember it. So strange, nothing was damaged. All of the beds were made nothing out of place. I heard the door creak open then slam shut. It made me jump. I was frightened not sure weather to run or turn around. "Oh, there you are we have been looking all over for you." I heard a familiar voice say which made me turn around. "Dan...Daniel...Danielle?" I questioned. "Yes silly it's me who else would it be? Me and Shawn have been waiting by the lake and you never showed up." She took a step closer to me and I backed up. "Are you okay La'Rayna?" "How can this be your dead." "Dead how could I be dead. Don't be silly come on Shawn is waiting on us." She tried to reach for me but I moved back. "If your not dead then why do you still look like a child?" "What are you talking about?" I pointed towards the mirror. She turned and faced the mirror. I was much taller than her now since I'm now a grown 22 year old and she's still a small 12 year old child. "Oh your right you got old La'Rayna" she said swing back and forth in the mirror. "What happened to you. Why did you leave me?" Blood began covering her clothes. "I didn't mean to." I barley got out. "But you did and you never came back. I waited for you. Why didn't you come back?" "Danielle I'm sorry." Tears began welling up in my eyes. "Well sorry isn't good enough!" She said yelling. She turned to me and her face changed. I screamed and woke up and realized I was on the couch.

Another dream. I started to shake uncontrollably and breath heavy. "La'Rayna are you okay I heard you screaming." Shawn said coming from upstairs. Once he reach me he grabbed onto me and tried to clam me down. "La'Rayna it's okay what's wrong what happened?" "I saw Danielle." "Huh." "She tried to kill me...she tried to kill me Shawn" I said gasping for air. "Calm down try and breath." He slowly ran his fingers through my hair as I laid my head on his chest. I finally calmed down. "Shawn it's my fault." "What are you talking about?" "It's my fault that Danielle is dead." "It's not you fault." "But I left her and she needed me." "La'Rayna if you didn't do what she said you would be dead to. And if you would have died out there I might as well be dead. Danielle saved your life okay. She wanted you to be safe okay." "She told me that she waited for me and I never came back. I told her I was sorry and she said it wasn't good enough." He sat me up and looked in my eyes. "Did you see her just now?" I know what he's talking about. He wants to know if I actually seen her physically standing her. Trying to make sure I'm not going crazy. "I'm not crazy Shawn I was sleep." I snatched away from him. "So it was a dream." "It didn't feel like a dream." I whisper I know he heard me but he let it go. "La'Rayna don't make me have to commit you." I laughed. "I hate you." "Come on let's go somewhere." I was hesitant. The only place I go is to therapy and yesterday when I went to his office. I was my first time going anywhere. "Where to." It's a surprised." We walked out to his car and I just stood there. "Come on it's not like I'm some stranger telling you I have candy in my car. Get in." Shawn said point to his car. "Shawn I'm not so sure about this." He walked over to me and grabbed my hands. "La'Rayna I will not let anything happen to you I promise." I held up my pinky and he laughed. This is something that we've been doing since we were kids. He twined his with mines. "I promise."

The drive to where ever we were going was pretty quiet. Shawn wasn't saying much I guess he didn't want to spoil where we were going because he knew I would ask questions. We couldn't listen to the radio because of what happened back at camp. I started to hear singing and laughing. "Never go over the hill...soon your soul will end...the cabin is at a dead end...cabin six that is...searching through the wasteland that is...they never found his body...now he's hunting everybody...you'll be next...he's coming for you with an ax...living at Camp Lakeview...gotta sleep with one eye open...or he's gonna get you." I looked over at Shawn who seemed to not hear anything. "Shawn." "Yeah." "Did you hear that?" "Hear what." He glanced over at me for a second. "Never mind."